Assistant Director of Admissions, Events Coordinator
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Feb 7, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
Reports to: Director of Admission
Supervises: Student worker (s)
Summary of Position:
The Assistant Director of Admission at Mills College is responsible for oversight of all events focused on prospective students. Beginning with prospect name purchase and concluding with registration for orientation, this position will assist the Admission Leadership Team (Associate Vice President of Enrollment and Financial Services, Director of Admissions, Associate Director of Admissions) in developing and executing all events. This position requires strong leadership and teamwork skills and the ability to effectively use data to inform decisions.
Essential Job Functions:
Develop, Execute, and Evaluate Recruitment Strategies
- Develops strategic travel plan in assigned recruitment territory including high school visits, college fairs, and on and off campus presentations to interact with prospective students
- Coordinate all aspects of recruitment travel through scheduling, transportation and accommodations
- Attend receptions for admitted students and conduct presentation on the benefits of a Mills College education
- Coordinate and monitor prospective students interaction with the Mills community i.e. current students, athletics, academic programs, students resources, and alumnae
- Develop and report enrollment data on trends in assigned recruitment territory
- 10 to 12 weeks of travel is required, including evening and weekend work, primarily during fall months
- Maintains reports and records on application activity in assigned recruitment territory
- Helps prospective students update and submit all required admission documents to complete applications
- Evaluate applications for admission and provide recommendations to the admission committee
- Application evaluation requires 10 weeks of file review, including evening and weekend work, primarily during winter months
- Establish, develop, and maintain communication with prospective students , their families, guidance counselors and community partners through phone, email, mail, interviews, and presentations
- Assist with the development of the Office of Admissions events calendar including undergraduate and graduate programs throughout the enrollment cycle
- Develop strategic initiatives that will promote and increase the number visitors to campus, including daily visits, and signature admission programs.
- Collaborate with admission staff, campus departments, and external vendors to successfully plan and execute all on and off campus admission events.
- Participate in prospective student recruitment and conversion activities and efforts as needed, including a possible recruitment territory.
- Possess an understanding of the challenges facing undergraduate admissions offices nationally and in California and demonstrate attention and responsiveness to College strategies that address these challenges.
- Participate in new student recruitment and conversion activities and efforts as needed.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a liaison with the Office of Alumnae Relations to plan and execute Alumnae outreach efforts to prospective students through communication initiatives and events for recruitment and yield efforts
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Admission and Associate Director of Admission
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 1-3 years of relevant experience; experience in higher education preferred
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional attention to detail with track record of executing large events or projects
- Ability to exhibit strong customer service for all levels of College constituencies and members of the public.
- Ability to communicate with a diverse population of prospective undergraduate and graduate students
- Ability to take appropriate steps to promote and sustain effective working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment
- Comfort with student information systems database to promote accurate data entry and reporting
- Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Intermediate knowledge of Social Media, including Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
- Knowledge of Admissions cycles, recruiting and communication strategies
- Familiarity with undergraduate admission and financial aid process.
- Strong understanding of the NACAC's Statement of Principles of Good Practice
- Exceptional professionalism when representing Mills College.
- Knowledge of Slate Technolutions CRM
Education and Training:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university required
Physical, Mental and Environmental Demands:
- Valid driver's license
- Ability to travel for outreach, recruitment or yield activities
- Ability to work nights and weekends
- Ability to carry boxes, bins and materials for recruitment travel and events
This position description is not intended to contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities. Additional duties may be assigned based on business operational needs.
This is a full-time, exempt position with an FTE 1.0. Salary is commensurate with experience, ranging from $50,000.00 to $52,000.00 per year and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period and 22 days of vacation per year, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.