Post-doc fellow DavilaLab
Universityof Colorado – School of Medicine
Immunology Postdoctoral Fellow-DavilaLab
TheUniversity of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals withdemonstrated commitment to creating an inclusive learning and workingenvironment. We value the ability to engage effectively with students,faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds.
Now hiring for a full-time postdoctoral fellow research position with benefits, which will be responsible for executing the research projects in the field of tumor immunology with oversight but minimal daily supervision from PI faculty. There will be an emphasis and research focus of the laboratory to develop novel immune-based strategies to induce tumor immunity including elucidating the mechanism of immune evasion mechanism in cancers.
This position reports directly to Dr. Eduardo Davila, PI of a immunotherapy research laboratory in the Department of Medicine and is responsible for performing the research summarized below. The laboratory is located on the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora, Colorado. The position is a faculty research position with the primary duties to conduct research and will not be involved in course instruction and is not eligible for tenure or overtime pay. An employee in this position can be terminated at any time without notice and severance pay may not be provided.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position is for a PhD post-doctoral researcher at the junior level, which will provide a mechanism for the hired individual to transition into a successful independent researcher in the field of tumor immunology.
The research focus of the laboratory is to develop novel immune-based strategies to induce tumor immunity including elucidating the mechanism of immune evasion mechanism in cancers.
Oneproject focuses on studying how T cells become exhausted and investigate howthis process can be prevented or reversed while another project focuses ondeveloping cell-based immunotherapies. The proposed training will be conducted at University ofColorado Anschutz Medical Campus. We aim to improve our knowledge of cancer immune evasionmechanisms, providing an intensive training, and ultimately provide fortransition into a successful independent investigator in academia or industry. All of the duties listed below are to achievethis goal in specific categories.
- Participatein the initiation of the research project
- Carryout research projects independently
- Developresearch protocols
- Performexperiments as related to research project
- Trouble-shootingand problem-solving as related to the research project
- Record results ofexperiments: Tabulate research data and keep a detailed, easy to understandlaboratory notebook
- Interpretthe experimental results
- Collaborationwith PI and others in the lab
- Conduct literaturesearches
- Training of laboratorypersonnel in experimentation techniques
- Preparation of tissues,cell cultures, blood samples, etc. for testing
- Measure and monitorgene expression (in mice)
- Animal care related toresearch procedures
- Perform recombinant DNAwork
- Modify, test, verifyand analyze research data
- Prepare samples foranalysis by various instrumentation
- Develop and maintainresearch databases
- Completion of a research project including preparation of written manuscripts and submission for publication
- Presentation of work on campus or at scientific meeting including the preparation of MS PowerPoint presentations
- Assistance in the writing of grants
- The employee must be willing to learn relevant techniques from the PI and other personnel and function with a reasonable level of independence. Wiling to perform all research compliance activities required by the University of Colorado. Perform other administrative duties as requested by PI.
The position requires 100% effort working within the secured research laboratory. Note; flexibility working the evening or working on weekends may be required and reviewed on a project-by-project basis within the research laboratory. The position will require research laboratory bench work skills, moderate lifting of research laboratory supplies, handling of research laboratory animals (mice) and good hand to eye coordination.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a PhD not older than 4 years in relevant field is required.
- Proven experience and familiarity with tumor immunology.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Publication record with at least two first publications.
- Candidate will be asked to submit a writing sample (e.g., grant or other similar).
- Prior supervisory experience.
The ideal candidate will have significant prior research lab experience:
- Highlymotivated applicants who are eligible for NIH training grants are preferred.
- Working experience in the field of tumor immunology.
- Strong background in cancer immune evasion mechanisms.
- The final candidate will be motivated, reliable and willing to learn new research techniques, be team-oriented, flexible, and able to communicate and possess the ability to work independently and effectively with research details.
- Applicants authorized for employment in the United States are strongly preferred. However, visa sponsorship may be considered for an exceptional foreign applicant with well-developed English language writing skills.
- Must be a US Citizen, US Permanent resident, or a foreign national holding a valid and appropriate visa (J-1 or H1-B). Applicant must already be in the USA to be eligible.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary follows the NIH stipend levels for postdoctoral trainees. https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-18-175.html
Salary iscommensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers afull benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, includingeligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The Universityof Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment forour faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, weconduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The ImmigrationReform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility bedocumented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work.Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Your total compensation goes beyond the number on yourpaycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, health plans andretirement contributions that add to your bottom line.
Total Compensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disabilityaccommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspxThe University of ColoradoDenver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting adiverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strivesto promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication andunderstanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, personswith disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed todiversity and equality in education and employment.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Dec 12, 2018
Unposting Date: Ongoing