Medical Assistant (2 Positions)
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY atwww.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver lAnschutz Medical CampusSchool of Medicine | Department Dermatology
Medical Assistant (Health Care TechIII) (2 Positions)Position #746722, Requisition 13653
The Department of Dermatology has anopening for two full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Medical Assistant(Health Care Tech III) positions.
The University of Colorado AnschutzMedical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care,education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaborationand interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools ofDental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; aHealth Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous tothe campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completedVeterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers 2 undergraduate degrees, 35 graduatedegrees, and 5 first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learnalongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries andprovide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hubfor research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in researchawards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 newcompanies since 2002.
A national leader in health care andlife sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciencescenter in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located inAurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient carefacilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains thehealth sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research andclinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diversehealth care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research benchto the patient’s bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is seekingapplications for a Medical Assistant / Health Care Technician III. Thisfull-time (1.00 FTE), University Staff (non-classified) position will support CUCosmetics, managed by the Department of Dermatology. This role will beresponsible for assisting with hands on patient care in both cosmetics andpatch testing. This will include the useof the Epic EMR system. This role willsupport cosmetics procedures and (in addition), shall be responsible forplacement of patches on skin for allergy testing. This position will work thefront and back office, order medical supplies, organize and stock exam rooms,and schedule/check-in patients for the Clinic. In addition, this MA/Health CareTechnician will enter patient information and assist the Clinic physicians withcertain procedures.
This position will performreception/administrative duties, such as: faxing reports, answering phones, scheduling patients using the facility’s softwareprogram, greeting patients and Clinic visitors, collecting co-pays,communicating and collecting information from referring physicians, securing insurance authorization, and preparing the Clinic each night for the nextday’s appointments, this includes pulling and filing charts, ordering andpreparing supplies, etc.
Examples of WorkPerformed:
Medical Assistance & PatientSupport:
- Assists thephysician during all procedures.
- Prepare patientsfor cosmetic procedures.
- Prepares patientsfor application of patches for allergy skin testing.
- Prepares patchesbased on information provided by patient/physician
- Takes patientvitals/pulse rate and blood pressure, enters all information into electronic(Epic) EMR.
- Checks insurancefor appropriate referral, communicates with patients if additional informationis necessary
- Cleans and preparestreatment rooms for patient examinations.
- Faxes reports andprepares patient charts; obtains past patient records as needed.
- Creates, modifies, and requests medicals records and documentation.
- Answers phone,interprets patient needs, and schedules appointments using the Clinic’ssoftware.
Administrative Support & FrontDesk Coordination:
- Performsreception/administrative duties, including: answers telephones, screeningcallers, relaying messages, and greeting visitors.
- Acts as a liaisonand communicates with referring physician offices in order to confirm patientinformation.
- Informs patientsabout the cost of their treatment/care plan and provides them with furtherinformational resources.
- Collects co-paysand insurance authorizations; obtains pre-certifications as required by healthcare insurers or managed care providers.
- Assists withequipment monitoring and inventory control, including:ordering supplies, ensuring supplies are available on a consistent basis, andcleaning and preparing exam rooms.
- Provides secretarial support to clinicalstaff.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travelexpenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, ifapplicable.Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this positionhas been established at $39,588 - $47,736 and is commensurate with skills andexperience. This position is eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information onUniversity benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver |Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environmentfor our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving thatgoal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver |Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diversestudent body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives topromote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons withdisabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed todiversity and equality in education and employment.
- A high school diploma or GED.
- Two (2) years of experience working as a Medical Assistant,Nursing Assistant, or in similar role.
Special Necessary Qualifications: A valid and current Medical Assistant or Certified NursingCertification is required at the time of application.
Substitution: College course work appropriate to the assignment maysubstitute for the required experience on a year-for-year basis.Conditions of Employment: Must be willing and able to…
- Lift, push, and/or pull up to 20lbs.
- Work in an environment that may expose you to fumes, chemicals, liquid nitrogen, extreme cold, blood/body fluids, and infectious disease.
- Frequently wash your hands, as biohazardous materials may be present.
- Sit and stand for long periods of time, frequently walk, and bend/stoop, as well as execute repetitive motions.
- Work with complex and sharp laboratory equipment, and various chemical and biological solutions.
- Wear appropriate safety equipment when handling biological samples and hazardous chemicals.
- Two (2) or more years of experienceworking in medical office setting.
- One (1) or more years of dermatologicalexperience to include cosmetics and preferably allergy skin testing.
- Experience working with ElectronicMedical Records system (Epic).
- Experience with blood draws.
- Experience scheduling patients forappointments utilizing electronic software.
- Experience setting up sterile andnon-sterile procedure trays and medical procedure rooms.
- Experience completing lab forms.
- Experience managing and handlingsensitive and confidential information.
- CPR Certified and/or in theprocesses of getting certification.
- Experience working with residents,staff, and faculty, within a higher education and/or academic medicalenvironment.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, andAbilities:
- Knowledge of medical chartpreparation and set-up.
- Demonstrated knowledge of medicalterminology.
- Ability to interpret medical rules,regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Strong interpersonal and customerservice skills with the ability to establish rapport with persons of diversebackgrounds.
- Must be able to work in amulti-disciplinary environment.
- Must possess a professionaldemeanor, strong problem solving skills, and the ability to manage multipletasks while working independently with minimal supervision.
- Detail oriented, self-motivated, afast learner, and possess excellent time management, organizational, and writtenand verbal communication skills.
- Ability to take direction and useindependent judgment to coordinate various projects and meet multipledeadlines.
- Knowledge and understanding of HIPAArules and regulations.
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Dec 7, 2018
Unposting Date: Ongoing