Vice Chancellor for Research
Description* Applications are acceptedelectronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical CampusOffice of Research Vice Chancellor for Research CU Anschutz Medical Campus | CU Denver Position #: 640750 – Requisition #: 15481 Position Summary: The University of ColoradoDenver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university with twocampuses serving more than 18,000 students and awarding nearly 4,000 degreeseach year. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty andrenowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programsthrough 13 schools and colleges. The two campuses receive over $500 million inresearch awards each year, with the vast majority of those funds received bythe Anschutz Medical Campus and predominantly the School of Medicine. Inaddition to the wide array of health-related professional and graduate programsand facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo., over 100 undergraduateand graduate degree programs are provided at CU Denver, our comprehensive,general academic campus located in the heart of downtown Denver. The AnschutzMedical Campus is a leader in delivering the finest clinical care and theresearch mission is inherently entwined with our clinical services and mission. The Vice Chancellor forResearch (VCR) is responsible for the direction and advocacy of our researchendeavors. A priority within theleadership role of this position will be to ensure compliance with allregulatory requirements that relate to research activity. The work will require collaborativecoordination with the Deans’ offices and faculty leadership of the university’scolleges and schools, as well as the other university Vice Chancellors and theAssociate Vice Chancellor for Research at the Denver campus. The VCR works closely with the Provost andthe Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs to fully align research with the overallmissions of the two campuses. The Vice Chancellor playsa leadership role in helping the campuses meet emerging research opportunities. Important components of the research agendainclude building faculty involvement in program project grants, enhancinginterdisciplinary research including establishing a new office devoted toidentifying collaborative opportunities, connecting the relevant researchers,and obtaining multi-project grant support for these initiatives. The Vice Chancellor will also collaboratewith the Dean of the Graduate School to further integrate research with oureducation and training programs and will coordinate activities that promoteparticipation in research activities that enhance the reputation and standingof the university’s research enterprise. SUPERVISION RECEIVED The Vice Chancellor forResearch reports directly to the CU Anschutz Chancellor, who will confer withthe CU Denver Chancellor for goal-setting and evaluation purposes. The VCR is located at the Anschutz MedicalCampus adjacent to the campus Chancellor. SUPERVISION EXERCISED The Vice Chancellor forResearch exercises collaborative supervision and authority over the AssociateVice Chancellor for Regulatory Compliance, the Director of the Animal ResourceCenter. The Associate Vice Chancellorfor Research at the Denver Campus reports to both the Provost and the VCR, withprimary reporting to the Provost. Centralized research centers and functions may also report to the ViceChancellor for Research, e.g., Colorado Clinical and Translational SciencesInstitute (CCTSI). DUTIES ANDRESPONSIBILITIES: The Vice Chancellor forResearch has responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Providescentralized leadership and advocacy of all university research activities toinclude the development and implementation of campus-level strategic plans forresearch. Works collaboratively withSchool/College leadership and faculty in overseeing the university researchenterprise. The Vice Chancellor willassist the faculty in targeting the acquisition of federal, state and otherinstitute/foundation resources.
- Developsand/or maintains a monitoring system for quantitative assessment of researchand scholarly productivity, e.g., providing measures and benchmarks for optimalspace utilization at the Anschutz Campus.
- Developsand maintains interactive relationships with NIH/NSF and other major fundingagencies to facilitate growth in the CU Anschutz and CU Denver researchenterprises.
- Developsand maintains an effective internal and external communication process. The communication process should promotecollaboration among the disciplines and campuses, enhance national andinternational visibility, as well as increase the understanding of the laypublic and regulatory agencies about the importance and quality of thescholarship, research and creative work endeavors at CU Anschutz and CU Denver.
- Providesdirection to the reporting units specified above and coordinates the planningand accomplishment of the reporting units’ goals and objectives. Maintains oversight responsibility for budgetsof all reporting units.
- Coordinatespertinent programs and relationships between the Anschutz and Denver campuses,CU Boulder, the University of Colorado, Colorado Springs, and the CU SystemOffice.
- Overseesthe continuation and improvement of all university programs for regulatorycompliance for research activities. Coordinates with other compliance programs maintained by the CU System, and affiliates such as University ofColorado Hospital, Children’s Hospital Colorado, CU Medicine, and the AurariaHigher Education Center.
- Providesexpert advice to the Chancellors, Vice Chancellors, Deans, and other universityleadership on matters related to research.
- Facilitatesthe enhancement and maintenance of an appropriate university researchinfrastructure to ensure effective and efficient support of scholarlyactivities by working closely with appropriate faculty advisory committees.
- Workswith the Offices of Advancement and the Chancellors to promote philanthropicfund raising for research.
- Servesas the university interface with affiliate entities regarding matters relatedto research.
- Participatesin the planning for the construction of new research space and the renovationof existing research space.
- Representsthe Chancellors on assigned standing or special committees. Establishes and directs committees and taskforces as appropriate.
The salary range for this position is commensuratewith skills and experience. Thisposition is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information onUniversity benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
Your total compensation goes beyond the numberon your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave, healthplans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line. * Benefits:https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.* Total Compensation Calculator:https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Diversity and Equity:
Please click here for information on disabilityaccommodations:http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspxThe University of Colorado Denver | AnschutzMedical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse studentbody, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote aculture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. Weencourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilitiesand all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity andequality in education and employment.The University of Colorado Denver | AnschutzMedical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for ourfaculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, weconduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
- Terminal professional degree in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy ornursing and/or PhD in the sciences; academic qualifications consistent with anappointment to the rank of professor with tenure in one of the Health SciencesSchools/College at the Anschutz Medical Campus.
- Extensive experience in the conduct of research, including themanagement of major and multiple grants from federal agencies.
- Progressively responsible experience in a leadership role at a healthsciences department, school or campus level.
- Experience with multiple funding agencies in addition to the federalgovernment.
- Record of successful leadership from the local to the international level onissues related to research.
- Experience with the conduct of academic research in a comprehensive, generalacademic campus environment.
- Experience with organizations providing input to national researchpolicy.
- Successful record of integrating cross-campus researchprojects and programs.
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience in the conduct of academicresearch in a health sciences environment.
- Extensive experience and expertise in management of large and complexprograms with multiple constituents.
- Extensive knowledge of the federal regulatory requirements forresearch.
- Ability to analyze complex problems, formulate plans for resolution andfollow through with implementation of the plans, through effective delegationof authority.
- Ability to full integrate diversity in the campus’ research, scholarly andcreative activities. Demonstratedcommitment to developing, enhancing and sustaining a diverse student body,faculty and staff.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- High degree of personal integrity.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships witha variety of persons internal and external to the university.
Job Category: Executive
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Jan 10, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing