Associate Vice President of Business Services and Controller
Whittier College is an independent, four-year Liberal Arts College and Law School distinguished by its small size (1650 undergraduates, 500 graduates and law) and a nationally-recognized liberal arts program.Whittier College has a history of strong and innovative interdisciplinary programs and a diverse student body.The College is ideally situated in the scenic hills eighteen miles east of downtown Los Angeles.
Associate Vice President of Business Services and Controller
The Office of Business Services at Whittier College seeks an Associate Vice President of Business Services and Controller. The Associate VP, Business Services and Controller safeguards assets and assures accurate and timely recording and reporting of financial transactions by establishing and directing a system of accounting activities, policies, procedures, and controls.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 40 hours per week
Exempt Status: Exempt
Full Time/Part Time status: Full time
Salary Range: $115,000-$135,000; Salary will commensurate with experience, skills, and knowledge.
Reports To: Vice President of Finance and Administration
Location/Department: Whittier College (Main Campus)/Business Services
The specific responsibilities for this role fall into the following primary areas:
1. Establish and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures that best accomplish and are aligned with the institution's mission, goals, and objectives.
2. Direct the operations of accounting, payroll, accounts receivable, cash receipts and disbursements, and endowment administration, including the design of an organizational structure adequate for achieving the departments' and institution's goals and objectives (includes hiring, training and development of staff).
3. Manage the service contract for the campus mail and graphics department.
4. Direct the operations of other work units as assigned.
5. Provide direction and leadership in the management of the institution's accounting practices.
6. Manage and maintain relationships with service providers, such as commercial banks and independent auditors, to maximize value.
7. Participate in the annual budget process and direct associated activities in areas of responsibility.
1. Maintain the general ledger and chart of accounts appropriate for the institution's mission, size, and reporting requirements.
2. Process transactions in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Standards.
3. Ensure that valid employees and vendors are paid accurately and in a timely manner.
4. Ensure that accounts receivable are collected promptly and within established credit policies.
5. Ensure that all accounts supporting the statement of financial position are reconciled and reviewed on a regular basis and are used appropriately for their intended purpose.
6. Ensure that debt payments are made on a timely basis.
7. Ensure endowments are administered in accordance with donor restrictions, industry accounting standards and UPMIFA, and that the spending policy approved by the Board of Trustees is accurately applied.
8. Ensure that expenditures for fixed assets are capitalized in accordance with established policy.
9. Ensure that donor restrictions, if any, are accurately applied in the classification equity.
10. Administer the approved budgets for operating divisions and units including input to the general ledger information system, monitoring and ensuring compliance, preparing forecasts and other related reports.
11. Maintain a schedule of discrete accounting periods and ensure adherence to deadlines.
12. Maintain a system of internal controls over accounting transactions.
1. Issue accurate, timely, and complete interim and annual financial statements that comply with industry accounting and reporting standards and best practices.
2. Issue management reports on a regular basis that provide timely actual results in comparison with budget.
3. Calculate variances from budget no less than quarterly and report to appropriate managers.
4. Prepare management forecasts in comparison to organization budget no less than quarterly.
5. Perform financial analysis as assigned.
6.Maintain a system of internal controls over financial reporting.
1. Coordinate the annual financial audits from preparation through completion of the annual financial reports in accordance with established deadlines.
2. Coordinate and facilitate regulatory audits as necessary such as State Board of Equalization, worker's compensation insurer, etc.
3. Comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings in areas of responsibility.
1. Write effective and professional communications in a broad range of applications including annual and interim financial reports, Board of Trustees materials, Whittier campus and Law School employees and departments.
1. Participate in appropriate industry programs to maintain skills and stay current on best practices.
2. Participate in appropriate industry list-serves.
3. Other duties as assigned.
Non-essential Functions of the Job:
1. Participate in vendor surveys.
Position Specifications and Requirements:
Previous Experience: 7 or more years in a similar level management role
Knowledge and Education: Bachelor's degree in accounting or closely related, CPA desired
Application Deadline: Until Filled
The position is based in Whittier, California.
For full instructions on how to apply for the position, please visit: https://www.whittier.edu/humanresources/support#Associate%20VP%20Business%20Services%20&%20Controller
Whittier College is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against employees or applicants because of race, religion creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, or sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by State or Federal Law.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency