Send a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references from previous supervisors, and one (1) professional reference from a colleague, to [email protected]
Please indicate the job code FAS-PS in the subject line of your email.
After sending in your documents, please fill out the online Job Applicant Identifier form. RACC is an equal opportunity employer. In compliance with government regulations we are required to record numbers of job applicants by sex and ethnic category. We ask that you indicate your race or national origin and sex, but you are not required to provide this information. This information will not be kept with your application and will be used only in accordance with state and federal regulations.Background Check
If you are chosen for this position, a background check will be required. Full details regarding the background check are available here.
Job Details Title: Payroll Specialist Announce date: 02/05/2019 Apply by date: 02/19/2019 Application status: Reviewing Applications Position type: Full-time Salary: $36,000-$40,000 per year Working Hours:
Working hours for this position consist of a 7.5 hour period per day Monday through Friday (between the hours of 7:30am and 5:00pm) exclusive of a ½ or 1 hour lunch. Specific hours to be agreed upon by the supervisor and employee prior to the onset of employment.Summary:
The Payroll Specialist reports to the Manager of Accounts Payable and Payroll and is responsible for the processing of college payroll, and for maintaining all associated payroll records and files in an accurate, efficient and effective manner. A high level of internal and external customer service is required for this position.Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Enter and verify payroll data.
- Gather, prepare and maintain paper and electronic payroll & human resource records for all current and former employees, obtaining necessary approvals as established in the department.
- Assist all employees in utilizing the payroll, timesheet and leave request functions in the HRIS.
- Respond to requests from employees, student workers and outside organizations for payroll, employment verification and deduction information as needed, in a tactful, diplomatic, and confidential manner.
- Prepare payroll-related disbursement requests and handle online and ACH payments for payroll deductions and liabilities to assure timely remittance.
- Distribute paychecks and W-2s, and assist employees in utilizing online systems to access check stubs and W-2s as requested.
- Monitor part-time employee hours for IRS requirements for 403(b) participation at 500 hours.
- Calculate and apply garnishments or other special deductions.
- Calculate and record payroll entry for the college share of FICA, TIAA, PSERS and SERS for each pay.
- Import the payroll file into the ERP General Ledger system for each pay.
- Prepare hours and wage spreadsheets for Work Study and Keys coordinators each pay period.
- Update and maintain the spreadsheet with gross payroll for all pays.
- Follow up on outstanding, uncashed payroll checks, when needed, and provide information on same to supervisor for the purpose of unclaimed property reporting.
- Monitor HRIS Time & Attendance system for unapproved leave requests, odd hour requests, requests for holidays and correct leave anniversary and fiscal year awards. Notify employees in advance of vacation roll-over limits. Respond to requests for assistance in the HRIS Time & Attendance system from employees and supervisors. Keep spreadsheet of employee leave awards schedules updated for reference.
- Track FMLA usage.
- Track Sick Leave Bank usage.
- Respond to requests from employees and vendors for payment information as it pertains to payroll.
- Perform other work-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.Education and/or Experience:
- Associates degree in Business or Accounting with a minimum of three (3) years of comprehensive payroll experience; OR
- High School Diploma with a minimum of five (5) years of comprehensive payroll experience.
- Bilingual communications (reading, writing and speaking) in English and Spanish is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of computerized payroll system and controls.
- Ability to exhibit initiative and analytical skills in problem solving.
- Ability to work, plan and complete assignments independently.
- Ability to exhibit tact and diplomacy in contacts.
- Ability to consistently generate accurate data.
- Ability to work under periods of prolonged concentration subject to frequent interruptions.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of computerized accounting systems and controls, as well as experience with Word Processing software.
- Must possess a high level of proficiency and expertise in the use of spreadsheet software.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.Work Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.