Animal Care Technician
Posting DetailsJob Posting Information Vacancy Type SHRA Is Internal Transfer Only No Time Limited? No Time-Limited Appointment Length Title Research Technician Band Level Contributing Working Title Animal Care Technician Salary Range $31,200 - $66,122 Anticipated Hiring Range $31,200 Salary Grade Equivalency 55 Position Number 00044025 Work Schedule Full Time - schedule includes some weekend and holiday work Does the regular and recurring schedule of this position result in the employee working more than ½ of their hours between 4 pm and 8 am? (Meal periods do not count). No Full Time Equivalent (FTE) 1.0 Department 193001 - Animal Resources Department Animal Resources Job City & State Raleigh, NC Primary Function of Organizational Unit
The mission of Laboratory Animal Resources (LAR) is to provide NCSU faculty with optimal animal resources at the least practical cost. The term “animal resources” includes not only animal housing facilities, but also animal husbandry services, veterinary care, technical services, expertise in laboratory animal technology and medicine, and assurance of compliance with regulatory requirements and institutional policies for animal care and use. LAR is responsible for assisting faculty in conducting animal experimentation in keeping with these standards, and is committed to assuring the well-being of experimental animals while providing services that facilitate their humane and judicious use.
North Carolina State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM) is a dynamic community whose members are dedicated to preparing veterinarians and veterinarian scientists while advancing animal and human health from the cellular level through entire ecosystems.
This position is responsible for the daily care of animals used in research and teaching. Duties include:
- Husbandry and animal enrichment
- Administers routine medications and prepares experimental or maintenance diets for research subjects
- Applies and maintains sanitation and safety procedures in animal care facility
- Must maintain accurate animal census records, daily room logs, and medical treatment logs
- Driving/Transport of animals
This position is classified as mandatory personnel and can require weekend and holiday work.
Perform basic animal husbandry on a wide variety of species
Maintain sanitation and safety procedures in accordance to regulations
Demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.Departmental Required Skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Good communication skills and the ability to work with a wide variety of people and patientsPreferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds frequently and 90 pounds occasionally
- 1 or more years of experience in animal husbandry
- Wide variety of species care (especially livestock/poultry/aquatics)
- AALAS certificationsRequired License or Certification
A valid NC driver’s license must be obtained within 60 days of start date and must be maintained throughout employment.Special Instructions Job Open Date 10/25/2018 Must Be Open Until---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.) 11/01/2018 Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies? No Proposed Hire Date 11/26/2018 Alternate Option
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have the combination of training and experience required to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position?
- * Do you have any experience with research animals? If yes, describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe any experience you have, within the last three years, in animal husbandry. In your response, please include species of animals worked with and duties associated with each species.
(Open Ended Question)
- * A valid NC driver’s license is required for this position and must be maintained as a condition of employment. Do you have a valid NC driver’s license or will you obtain it within 60 days of start date?
- Yes, I have a valid NC driver’s license and understand that it must be maintained as a condition of employment.
- Yes, while I do not currently have a valid NC driver’s license, I will obtain it within 60 days of hire and maintain it as a condition of employment.
- No, I do not currently have a valid NC driver’s license, and I will not obtain it.
- * Are you able to lift up to 50 pounds frequently and up to 90 pounds occasional?
- * Are you able to work weekends and rotating holidays?
- Cover Letter
- Contact Information for References