Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy Type Tenured/Tenure-Track Faculty Is Internal Transfer Only No Working Title Assistant Professor Salary Range Anticipated Hiring Range Commensurate with Experience Position Number 00104196 Work Schedule Hours will vary, depending on research and academic needs. Full Time Equivalent (FTE) 1.00 Department 110701 - Animal Science Department College of Agriculture and Life Sciences Job City & State Raleigh, NC Primary Function of Organizational Unit
The Department of Animal Science is the largest academic program in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences and provides academic instruction to over 800 undergraduate students and 80 graduate students. The Department also is a leader in extension and engagement programs to farmers, allied industry and the public, and conducts internationally recognized research into the nutrition, genetic reproductive, health and well-being of domesticated animals.Essential Job Duties
The successful candidate will be expected to develop a vigorous, nationally recognized, extramurally-funded research program emphasizing improvement of economically important traits of livestock as demonstrated by peer-reviewed publications, invited presentations, graduate student training and grant support. The candidate should have demonstrated expertise in quantitative and statistical genomics as it relates to genetic/genomic predictions. Furthermore, this position will provide expertise in applying and developing pipelines, computational tools, algorithms, and statistical approaches to a wide array of genomic data.
This faculty position is expected to engage in research both independently as well as in collaboration with other faculty members in the Department and at the University.
The candidate will be expected to teach a minimum of two courses. One course for upper level undergraduate and masters students, “Animal Genetic Improvement,” emphasizes modern evaluation and selection procedures for domestic animals; selection goals, estimation of breeding values and performance testing and their impact on genetic changes. The second graduate course, “Genetics of Animal Improvement,” focuses on utilization of basic principles of population and quantitative genetics in animal improvement.
Inclusiveness and diversity are central to the success of the College and University as a whole. Therefore, the selected candidate will be expected to foster an environment that is welcoming of all groups.Other Work/Responsibilities
Additional responsibilities will include advising undergraduate and graduate students. The individual will be part of a team of animal scientists that is expected to enhance the Department and College’s overall research, teaching, and extension programs. Collaboration with other scientists across the department and university as well as animal industries is expected. In addition, the successful candidate will provide service to the department, college, university and the profession on animal science.Minimum Education/Experience
The successful candidate should have a Ph.D. in Animal Breeding, Quantitative Genomics or Quantitative Genetics or an appropriate discipline and interest in genetics and biology of animals.Departmental Required Skills
• Experience with statistical modelling, data analysis and simulation both in a frequentist and Bayesian framework.
• Experience with computational tools.
• Working knowledge of programming as well as scripting languages.
• Ability to work collaboratively with faculty of diverse expertise.
• Ability to clearly and effectively communicate (oral and written) with students, faculty, staff as well as stakeholders and general audiences.
• Demonstrated expertise in quantitative and statistical genomics as it relates to genetic/genomic predictions.
• Extensive knowledge of livestock production systems.
• Familiarity with experimental design in agriculture.
• Familiarity and interest in developing and applying machine learning methods.
• Experience with HPC environment.
A valid drivers license is required for travel. NC drivers license required within 60 days of hire and must be maintained.
Position will be traveling throughout the state to conduct and present research in a personal or state vehicle.Special Instructions
Please attach a CV, cover letter, a Statement of Research (limited to 2 pages), and contact information for three professional references.Job Open Date 12/14/2017 Anticipated Closing Date Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies? No Proposed Hire Date 08/15/2018 AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have (or will you have by date of hire) a Ph.D. in Animal Breeding, Quantitative Genomics or Quantitative Genetics or similar applicable discipline?
- * Do you have a valid North Carolina Driver's license or the ability to obtain one within 60 days of your start date?
- Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Research Statement
- Contact Information for References