UNT Controller - 926200
Is this an internal posting only?
40 hr per week Monday - Friday 8 am - 5 pm
The UNT Controller Department at the University of North Texas System is seeking to hire a Principal Accountant to join our team. This position performs complex (journey-level) accounting work. Work involves preparing financial statements, records, documents, and reports. May specialize in some phase of accounting work such as federal funds accounting, bank reconciliations, or state funds accounting. Supervise and train others. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Prepares and reviews financial statements, reports, schedules, and exhibits; prepares and audits general journal entries; and prepares and audits payment, cash, purchase, travel, and related vouchers.
* Prepares and reviews periodic analyses of fund balances and expenditures; and prepares technical reports for accounting review.
* Audits accounting and financial documents for accuracy and compliance with departmental policies and procedures and state and federal statutes.
* Classifies, codes, posts, and balances financial and accounting documents and records.
* Checks accounting operations in progress, and reviews and audits completed financial records for accuracy and conformance with legal and departmental procedures and regulations.
* Maintains and determines the accuracy and reliability of accounting records, such as expenditure, fund, appropriation, expense and revenue collection records, and ensures agency assets are accounted for properly.
* Analyzes and recommends improvements, adaptations, or revisions to the accounting system and accompanying procedures.
* Researches and reconciles discrepancies in accounts and reports findings.
* Assists in planning procedures and regulations to control accounting processes and in preparing letters of instruction, manual revisions, and related forms as necessary.
* May instruct staff on the maintenance of accounting records on expenditures and revenue collected, the posting of general ledgers, and the posting of journal entries and/or adjustments.
* May direct the maintenance of accounting records on receipts and disbursements in compliance with state and federal statutes, policies, and procedures.
* May assist in planning accounting and administrative support work procedures.
* May train others.
* Performs related work as assigned.
The University of North Texas System and its component institutions are committed to equal opportunity and comply with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University of North Texas System and its component institutions do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, and employment practices.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in accounting, finance or a related field and six years of accounting experience.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* State of Texas experience
* Higher education experience
* PeopleSoft financials experience
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary Commensurate with Experience
Quicklink for Posting