Nursery Technician Job Number Full/Part Time Schedule Salary 201811275901 Full Time Other $35,705 - $49,945 Position Information Care and maintenance of plants in the UCR citrus breeding program in both greenhouses and field. Also assistance with data collection. Greenhouse duties would include filling pots with soil, emptying and cleaning pots, weeding, assist with rooting cuttings, grafting, pruning and staking trees. Fieldwork would include fruit collection, counting seeds in fruit, assist with pollinations, harvesting fruit from field trials in Riverside and other locations (this may involve extra long days or overnight trips). Laboratory work would include assisting with fruit quality evaluation, seed extraction, and treatment. Please note: Finalists will be required to complete a pre-employment physical exam as part of the hiring process. Minimum Requirements Must possess or obtain a Valid CA Drivers License in accordance with the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
Ability to work in hot conditions in greenhouse or field. Temperatures in the greenhouse routinely exceed 90 degrees Fahrenheit for several hours of the day, with relative humidity approximately 55%. Field temperatures in some seasons will also exceed 90 degrees or even 100 degrees.
Ability to work within the constraints of exclusionary and quarantine greenhouse. Must perform duties totally in compliance with requirements.
Skills in plant propagation and maintenance of citrus plants both in greenhouse and for field planting. Two years of training and experience in nursery techniques.
Ability to do field work such as harvesting fruit. This involves using a picker's bag that can hold up to 60 pounds of fruit, or lifting 20 pound buckets of fruit or bins of fruit that can weigh up to 55 pounds. This activity can continue for up to 6 hours in a day.
Ability to repeatedly for several hours at a stretch perform a number of physical tasks such as filling pots with soil, lifting and moving the filled pots, carrying plants in the field at planting time, weeding, watering plants. Pots and plants may weigh up to 30 pounds when wet.
Ability to measure trees using a measuring pole. This involves reading the numbers accurately, and positioning the pole correctly, walking through the field and holding the pole against the tree. It may require pushing between trees that have grown together. These trees have thorns and may have dirt and insects or spiders on them.
Ability to collect fruit from selected trees, extract seed and disinfect seed with pesticide
Ability to keep accurate written records. Skills in reading, writing, organizing and keeping data from experiments.
Ability to use a computer to take required online training courses and to fill out online timesheet.
Preferred Qualifications Experience with citrus propagation and care.
Experience with care of plants in greenhouse.
Ability to communicate in Spanish. Additional Information In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history, and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- UC Riverside was included in the (August 2018) edition of The Princeton Review's "The Best 382 Colleges."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2017) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- In 2016, UCR was recognized for graduation rate success by the Association of Public and Land-Grant Universities (APLU) for achieving near parity across racial-ethnic, socio-economic, and gender boundaries.
- UCR ranks among the Top 15 Public Research Universities in the nation, as identified by the 2017 Washington Monthly.
- In 2017, two separate reports from the Education Trust celebrated UCR as a national leader for African American and Latino student success. UCR was one of just three schools to be named top-performing institutions in both reports and the only California campus recognized among 18 top-performing colleges and universities in the nation for high black student graduation rates.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview
Job Description Details View complete Job Description for this position