Laboratory Technician for Center for Craft Food and Beverage
Date: February 27, 2019
Title: Laboratory Technician for Center for Craft Food and Beverage
Description: Under the direction of the Laboratory Director for the Center for Craft Food and Beverage, the Laboratory Technician will work to deliver accurate and timely analysis of submitted client samples in the Center for Craft Food and Beverage service testing laboratory. The technician will assist with the testing of beer and brewing raw materials following standard operating procedures and approved methods. This is a full-time, six-month term appointment and grant funded.
- Prepare test materials and conduct analytical testing using standard operating procedures and approved methods
- Collect and record test results using spreadsheet and database software
- Conduct routine maintenance and calibration of laboratory instrumentation
- Receive client samples and maintain inventory logs
- Perform laboratory housekeeping maintaining the lab in a presentable state at all times
- Bachelors’ degree from an accredited college or university in a related field such as Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Food Science. Preferance will be given to recent graduates of Hartwick College.
- Ability to perform basic laboratory skills in a safe manner.
- Proficiency in Microsoft software applications including Word, Excel, Access.
- Familiarity with basic lab instrumentation and glassware.
- Ability to understand, record and communicate technical data.
- Ability to schedule and coordinate testing and share resources.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety procedures.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Physical demands for this position include regularly standing for prolonged periods of time, walk, reach with hands and arms, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, and talk and hear. Additionally, the employee must work and be exposed to hazardous chemicals. The employee must wear appropriate personal protective clothing and/or equipment. The employee must work in an environment where there is exposure to grain and flour dust. Specific vision abilities required by this position include working with close vision.