Department: Campus Police
Location: Corporate College East
Reports To: Sergeant
Recruitment Type: External/Internal
Requisition ID: req937
Employment Type: Part-Time Support Staff
Vacancy Number: CUSTOM.VACANCY.NUMBER
Union Position: Union
Work Schedule: Various shifts to include weekends, nights, and holidays.
Number of Openings: 1
Patrols facilities, buildings and property and detects unauthorized persons or activities and unsafe conditions. Maintains visibility to deter criminal activity.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Provides basic patrol to assigned areas/campus. Patrols various college buildings and/or property, which may include a specific location, building, assignment or special event.
• Observes and reports faulty and /or unsafe utility equipment, reports obstructions in street or sidewalks, holes, leaking of faulty utility services or other unusual conditions that might endanger the public’s safety.
• Observes and reports criminal activity and other incidents or conditions that may jeopardize the safety and security of the community.
• Conducts preliminary investigations and assists higher level officer’s in conducting fact-finding investigations or with specific projects.
• May appear in court as a witness regarding various incidents that occur in the College community as necessary.
• Provides directions and other information to College personnel, students, and/or the general public.
• Admits authorized personnel to locked buildings during secure hours.
• Maintains regular radio contact with the dispatch center to receive calls for service, to advise of unusual situations, and to request backup when necessary.
• Completes necessary administrative forms/reports as required.
• Directs traffic, enforces parking regulations, services coin operated parking equipment, and collects special event parking fees.
• Provides assistance to local police agencies during emergencies.
• Furnishes escort service and transports visitors, guests, staff and students as directed; makes authorized off-campus pick-ups and deliveries.
• Meets all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to the essential functions of the position.
• Demonstrates regular attendance.
• Accesses and utilizes College prescribed software programs including, but not limited to, training, email and payroll information.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
* denotes Essential Function
• High School diploma or GED.
• Good communication skills, both written and oral.
• Possession of a State of Ohio Security Officer Certification.
• Valid Ohio Driver’s license.
• Current certifications in First Aid and CPR.
• Must obtain certifications in AED, Awareness of HazMat, Weapons of Mass
Destruction, and Personal Awareness Protection Equipment within the first 90 days of
• Skills in keyboarding, basic math and grammar, and basic or standard word
processing (MS Word) and/or spreadsheet applications (MS Excel).
• Proficiency with an email software package (MS Outlook) and the Internet.
• Must be able to meet the College insurability requirements.
• Must have sensitivity to respond appropriately to the needs of a diverse population.
• Must be a citizen of the U.S.
• Must be at least 21 years of age.
• Ability to satisfactorily complete a thorough background clearance, physical
examination, polygraph or voice stress analysis and psychological evaluation.
• One (1) year of protective services experience in a security position.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Must be able to occasionally stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Must be able to regularly
stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, and climb
or balance. Must be able to frequently talk or hear, taste and smell. Must be able to lift
up to 50 pounds without assistance. Special vision requirements include close,
distance, color, peripheral, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Must be able to occasionally work with bio-hazards. Must be able to regularly work in
wet or humid conditions, in outdoor weather conditions, and extreme cold or heat. Must
be able to work in an environment with a moderate noise level.
Disclaimer: This description is a general statement of required major duties and responsibilities
performed on a regular and continuous basis. It does not exclude other duties as assigned and
does not prescribe or restrict the tasks that may be assigned.
Special Note: This is an AFSCME Bargaining Unit position, grade 02. Minimum of $18.12 per hour.
Special Instructions to Applicants: During the application process, you may be required to attach a cover letter and/or resume. It is recommended that you have these documents ready to be attached electronically to the online application. This system accepts only MS Word or PDF attachments. Any employment with the College is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check and drug screen.
Affirmative Action Statement: Cuyahoga Community College is committed to attaining excellence through the recruitment and retention of a qualified and diverse workforce. Cuyahoga Community College is an equal employment/educational opportunity institution.