Instructional Design Specialist
The mission of the Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons (SAGES) is to improve quality patient care through education, research, innovation and leadership, principally in gastrointestinal and endoscopic surgery. SAGES is a leading surgical society, representing and educating a global community of over 6,000 surgeons that can bring minimal access surgery, endoscopy and emerging techniques to patients worldwide. The organization sets the clinical and educational guidelines on standards of practice in various procedures, critical to enhancing patient safety and health.
In this role you will collaborate with subject matter experts to plan, develop and manage instructional and curriculum development projects. Research and analyze data, trends and technologies to design rich courses and content. Design instruction that reflects an understanding of the diversity of learners. Promote collaboration, partnerships and relationships among the participants in design projects. You will create impactful, engaging content that meets the needs of SAGES and its members.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Apply instructional design theories and best practices while partnering directly with subject matter experts to develop engaging content for the varied SAGES audiences.
- Use varied delivery modes (online, webinar, etc.) with clear strategies and tactics to achieve desired learning outcomes in an innovative and technically advanced learning environment
- Providing consultation to subject matter experts either individually or in small groups to enhance use of the organization wide learning management system for course and program development
- Developing and delivering web-based self-help support services for subject matter experts teaching on online
- Assessing the needs of the learners and developing effective content that targets those needs
- Creating media to support learning (e.g., visual aids for face-to-face, various multimedia for e-learning and online)
- Evaluating instructional software, multimedia applications and web based educational technologies as a basis for meeting the needs of organization
- Writing, editing and proofreading content for correct grammar, punctuation, style and accuracy
- Continually evaluating the performance of existing training and updating as needed
- Recommend to the education council and board different applications or layouts that would improve user experience in the current classes and trainings
- Serve as project manager on simultaneous training development initiatives with the ability to stay within timelines and budgets. Able to adjust to changes in priorities or scope of projects as needed
- Keep up to date with current trends in Leaning and Development to ensure we are taking advantage of the most up-to-date technologies and techniques
- Perform other job-related duties and special projects as assigned
- Attend training and maintain skill currency as appropriate to safely and effectively complete assignments
- Bachelors degree (with a master preferred) or higher in instructional design, education technology, or similar field
- Four or more years instructional design experience in developing online, mobile and instructor-led courses
- Curriculum development experience
- Experience working with a variety of eLearning technology platforms and learning management systems.
- Experience delivering professional training
- Teaching experience preferred
- In-depth knowledge of learning theories and instructional design models
- Visual design skills
- Ability to communicate effectively and professionally in visual, oral and written form with all levels of individuals
- Ability to learn new ideas, tools and concepts quickly
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from a diverse audience and work with multiple teams
- High level of interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively across organizational and functional boundaries
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate in both written and oral formats
- Ability to be unfazed by ambiguity and comfortable in environments with shifting priorities
- Ability to write effective copy, instructional text, audio and video scripts.