Dean of Kendall College
Reporting to the Provost and working directly with the president on strategic matters, the Dean of Kendall College of Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management (KCCAHM) will provide vision, high-quality strategic, academic and administrative leadership and direction to the college. The Dean must bring dynamic energy, a passion for the industry and connecting with the external culinary and hospitality community, and a commitment to innovation, academic and service excellence, and access. The Dean will work extensively with external partners to strengthen the integration of Kendall with the culinary and hospitality community, and develop new partnerships that support the college.
Candidates must demonstrate the ability to oversee excellence and innovation in curriculum development and educational quality in collaboration with the Culinary Arts and Hospitality Management faculty and Program Director. To ensure that programs continuously adapt to meet the changing market and employment needs of industry, the candidate will build the college’s network of local industry partners, bringing them into the life of the College and into regular interaction with college faculty, staff, and students. The Dean will ensure that all programming offered within the College is relevant to and current with business, industry and community needs and meets or exceeds the College’s internal academic and external accreditation standards. He or she will also build and maintain a robust network of international relationships that contribute to international student enrollment and ensure an international network and perspective on the fields of culinary arts and hospitality. The Dean will also oversee Kendall’s international culinary and hospitality affiliate partnerships. The Dean will support college marketing by participating in College events, providing guidance on program positioning, and leveraging relationships with external partners to enhance recruitment efforts.
The Dean will be dedicated to ensuring that Kendall College at National Louis University serves its students with distinction and achieves its strategic goals. The Dean will also ensure that learning, teaching, community engagement and academic services support student success from admissions through to graduation, and employment. To that end, she or he will foster a culture of collaboration and high standards among culinary and hospitality faculty and staff and ensure their efforts are aligned to the vision of Kendall College at National Louis University. The Dean will contribute to and share in the sustainability, well-being and growth of the College through membership on the President’s Cabinet, the Academic Cabinet, and other governance bodies at the University.
• Responsible for the vision and for leading the development and implementation of a strategic plan for all Culinary and Hospitality programs in alignment with the university strategic plan.
• Understands the future directions of the culinary and hospitality industries and identifies existing and emerging market needs for new programs or the transformation of existing ones and develops appropriate strategies and support accordingly
• Works closely with the Vice President of Marketing and Enrollment to support the marketing and enrollment initiatives and to foster the recognition and growth of Kendall College
• Builds and maintains connections to industry and other stakeholders to advance financial and academic support needs of the college working collaboratively with the Office of Advancement
• Serves as Kendall College advocate and spokesperson with external partners, funders and other stakeholders
• With the Director of Culinary Arts and Hospitality Programs and the faculty, identifies external rankings and competitions and strategizes to strengthen Kendall’s brand in alignment with marketing
• Maintains a regular presence on campus and works with the Director of Culinary Arts and Hospitality Programs to advance the organizational culture of Kendall College that is based on student-centeredness, accountability and collaboration
• Develop and manage budget and allocate resources appropriately to support the achievement of strategic goals
• Master’s degree required in Culinary Arts, Hospitality Management, Business, Education or related field; Doctorate or industry experience equivalent to a terminal degree in one of these fields preferred.
• Seven years of college-administrative or relevant industry experience.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Proven track record of developing new and innovative programs
• Experience with budget management, student learning outcome assessment, academic advising, recruiting of faculty and students, and strategic planning.
• Proven track record of successful networking and collaboration with community partners.
• Track record of managing related businesses such as restaurants, events, etc.
• Experience in business planning, project and change management and financial management.
• Experience implementing strategic plans including performance management goals and objectives, proven human resource management experience, including supervisory experience.
• Demonstrated success as a dynamic leader at the management level.
• A collaborative management style including building and sustaining teams within, between and across organizations, with a demonstrated strength in customer service, delivering results, handling complexity and thinking globally.
• Excellent interpersonal and group facilitative skills and the ability to initiate and develop effective partnerships and alliances with industry, liaison with all levels of government, associations and educational institutions and promotion of effective community relations
• Innovative creative problem-solver with a commitment to quality, service and accountability
• Must be adaptive in their thinking and be able to discern innovative solutions to new and emerging challenges, including identifying new technologies and program delivery methods for partnerships and collaborations with other agencies, organizations and departments
• Values Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
• Commitment to lifelong learning
• Excellent verbal, written, and electronic communication skills.
• Experience with applied research.
• Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Teaching experience and familiarity with large post-secondary educational institutions are considered assets.