Associate Professor of Instruction in the Graphic & Interactive Design Program
The Department of Graphic Arts and Design at Tyler School of Art, Temple University invites applications to apply for a full-time, non-tenure-track faculty position in Graphic & Interactive Design beginning in Fall (August) 2019. The position is renewable based on successful performance and the needs of the program.
The Graphic & Interactive Design program at Tyler focuses on design practice, educating students to work at the most creative levels of the visual communication field. The program seeks a designer with significant professional experience, a broad knowledge of contemporary design practice and design history, as well as a thorough understanding of technical, critical, and theoretical issues in design. Strong skills in design for the screen are essential, in addition to image making, and typographic expertise. Recognition of the candidate’s work in juried publications and/or exhibitions in the field of Graphic Design is a plus, but not required.
The position requires a strong commitment to teaching and the integration of technology and design. Teaching responsibilities will be primarily in interactive design, but may also include introductory design classes at all levels in the undergraduate Graphic & Interactive Design program. Additional responsibilities may include some light administrative duties and in curriculum development.
The appointee will work closely with the Graphic & Interactive Design Program Head and the Department Chair. The teaching load is 4 courses per semester.
Since 1935, Tyler School of Art has offered students the combination of a world-renowned faculty and the resources of Temple University, a large, urban research institution. Tyler’s programs encompass a wide range of areas in the study of art, design, art history, art education, and architecture. In each program, students work in small learning communities, while also benefiting from state-of-the-art facilities, a rigorous curriculum, and a large, diverse campus community.
Temple University is an equal opportunity, equal access, affirmative action employer committed to increasing diversity and inclusivity in both its community and its curricula. Women, people of color, and other candidates who can contribute to this goal are strongly encouraged to apply.
RANK: Assistant Professor or Associate Professor
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Candidates for this position must have an MFA in Graphic Design or equivalent professional experience in the field and a minimum of 2 years of teaching experience at the college level, full-time or as an adjunct. A broad range of skills across all areas of Graphic Design practice is essential.
• Expertise with Adobe Creative Cloud specifically: Animate, After Effects, Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, InDesign, XD
• Demonstrated experience with motion graphics: typography, color theory and animation
• Strong typographic skills
• Strong experience with HTML and CSS
• Knowledge of other UX/UI design software and prototyping software: Sketch, InVision, Principle, or Flinto.
• Working knowledge of Information Design
A Strong Plus:
• Experience with creative coding / gaming
• Working knowledge of Wordpress or Drupal (or other CMS)
• Knowledge in sound design software such as Audition, Logic or ProTools
• Demonstrated experience with motion graphics, VFX, compositing, and motion arts
• Experience with 3D applications and methodologies such as Maya or Cinema 4D
• Experience with designing for AR or VR
Applicants should submit:
• A cover letter detailing qualifications
• Signed and dated curriculum vitae and evidence of work in your field
• Statement of teaching philosophy
• Sample syllabi
• Three references with contact information: address, phone number, and email.
• Documentation of recent work: 20 examples of personal work and 20 examples of student work.
Note: Application materials and images must be uploaded to Slideroom. https://temple.slideroom.com/
If you need assistance during the submission process, please email [email protected]
Finalists must also be prepared to submit course evaluations, official academic transcripts, and three signed letters of recommendation on letterhead. No letters are required in the initial application. If notifying references, please advise them that a letter of reference will be required if you area a finalist for the position.The additional finalist requirements are due within two weeks of the campus visit.
For more about the program, please visit: http://tyler.temple.edu/programs/graphic-interactive-design