Support Specialist III (Help Desk)
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job Title Support Specialist III (Help Desk) Department Campus Services Full Time/Part Time Full-Time Requisition Number S19386 Open Date 01/24/2019 Close Date Salary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.Benefits Eligible Yes Eligible for Overtime No Position Summary
The Support Specialist III serves as the technical expert for support to end-users for computer hardware, software, and network related problems and/or lead desktop staff and assists with support operations. This position will serve as part of the Office of Information Technology Campus Services support team.Education Required Bachelor's Degree Major/Discipline
IT, engineering, computer science, or related discipline.Substitution for Education Requirement
May substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.Education Preferred
Master’s degree.Experience Required 4 years Type of Experience
- Experience working at a help desk providing technical support, instruction, and advice regarding common aspects of desktop computing resources
- Experience working directly with end users resolving issues and using phone, email, and/or remote assistance as needed to solve issuesSubstitution for Experience Requirement
May substitute additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
Experience in an academic or research environment.License/Certification Required License/Certification Preferred
Industry certifications such as Windows (MCSE, MCP), Macintosh (ACTC) or CCNA, CompTIA, etc.Skills Required
- Demonstrated proficiency and comprehensive knowledge of desktop support to integrate fundamental elements from other specialties into work assignments, knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures
- High proficiency of knowledge of various software and hardware and how they are configured and interface with each other
- Solid understanding of analytical, technical, and administrative processes and procedures related to desktop support
- Ability to collaborate, consult and escalate ideas / issues to management
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, collaborative, creative, research, and verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to train end users
Daily contact with others in OIT and faculty, staff, and students.
Frequent contact with vendors to facilitate installation of new products and maintenance of existing systems.Physical Demands
Must be able to get around campus. Ability to lift a personal computer, monitor, or printer of up to 25 pounds.Working Conditions
Will be required to carry a cell phone that includes an SMS and data plan and be reachable during off hours as determined by management.
May require extended work hours and availability outside normal working hours.
Non-smoking environment.Security Sensitive Yes Special Instructions to Applicants Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/18232 Job Duties Job Duty Name Essential Functions Description of Job Duty
- Leads activities of desktop staff to diagnose and resolve client problems; guides computing support staff on diagnosis of potential problems and resolutions
- Leads projects requiring technical expertise and creativity in analysis and deployment of technology
- Takes escalated issues and resolves or refers to specialized expert as needed
- Ensures team meets client service metrics
- Monitors and reports on all phases of computing support are coordinated, logged, tracked, and resolved appropriately
- Provides input on process improvements and contribute to the technology road map for the strategic plan
- Performs metrics trend analysis and reporting; guiding resultant process improvement
- Provides technical guidance and training; may guide other staff
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Promotes computer literacy among departmental clients and team members
- Keeps clients and team members informed about new computing software, hardware, and information resources
- Provides one-on-one, small group, or classroom instruction for faculty and staff with a departmental focus on materials
- Acts as technical escalation contact for complex issues, providing guidance and solutions to junior team members
- Special projects as assigned
- Cover Letter
- References/Recommendation Request
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree or higher in IT, engineering, computer science, or related field, or additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the degree requirement?
- * Do you have four or more years of experience working at a help desk providing technical support, instruction, and advice regarding common aspects of desktop computing resources, as well as experience working directly with end users resolving issues and using phone, email, and/or remote assistance as needed to solve issues, or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement?
- * Do you have any industry certifications such as Windows (MCSE, MCP), Macintosh (ACTC) or CCNA, CompTIA, etc.?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide the salary or range that you would require or consider for this position.
(Open Ended Question)