Feb 4, 2019
- Works in the field in all branches of horticulture activities.
- Keeps the grounds clean and neat at all times (i.e., rakes lawns, cleans street gutters, roadways, parking lots, athletic fields, sidewalks; keeps rain gutters clear of light debris, and cleans catch basins, etc.).
- Under supervision performs planting, mulching, weeding, grass removal, cultivating, fertilizing, and trimming; trims and prunes low branches on trees and shrubs and removes same; cuts grass, trims plants and trees, and irrigates with hose and sprinklers. Performs common unskilled laboring work requiring physical strength but little skill or training. Moves, lifts and carries items of various weights and sizes. May be required to operate motor vehicles and equipment in connection with the performance of duties.
- Maintains and cleans all areas of the Institute, including perimeter walkways, catch basins, window wells, and trash receptacles. Engages in waste management operations including municipal waste and hazardous waste disposal.
- Cleans up work areas as required, assuring individual, co-worker, and public safety in all weather and working conditions.
- Responsible for the removal of snow from all Institute roadways, parking lots, walkways, main entrances, exits and other byways for safe access making sure to use proper equipment and ergonomic techniques.
- Operates all grounds equipment which may include riding mowers, tractors, trucks, snow removal equipment, power sweepers, etc.
- When inclement weather prevails, the grounds-worker will receive indoor assignments, subject to the applicable article of the collective bargaining agreement.
- Keeps all vehicles and shop machinery and tools clean, properly maintained, safe and secure at all times. Conscientiously and competently operate and care for all equipment.
- Uses surplus useable materials as needed or directed for projects.
- Maintain daily log and inspection sheets; performs maintenance inspections as assigned.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned by immediate supervisor or other appropriate department managers. Attend all trainings pertaining to job descriptions above.
HOURLY RATE IS $23.3650
Education: High school diploma or equivalency preferred, with special horticulture education or training desired.
Experience: Two years’ experience as grounds-man or landscape gardener.
Knowledge, Skills and License: Must be able to operate lawn mowers and snow plow equipment. Must be in good physical condition and able to perform the physical tasks of the position. Employee must be physically able to lift 50 lbs and walk, stand, crawl or stoop. Must have and maintain a valid NYS driver’s license.
Please submit your cover letter and resume. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 References via our on-line reference tool system. At least 2 of your References must be, or have been, your direct managers.