Public Safety Tour Supervisor
Public Safety Tour Supervisor
Feb 4, 2019
Pratt Institute is seeking a highly motivated Public Safety Supervisor to join our Public Safety Team immediately at the Brooklyn campus. This is a great opportunity to become a part of a department that prides itself on professionalism, collegiality, and integrity. The core values of the Pratt Institute Public Safety department are to put the Pratt Institute first and to be truly dedicated to insuring a welcoming and inclusive campus environment.
The Public Safety Department is looking for an individual who possess a minimum of five (5) years supervisory experience in a public safety or law enforcement environment. Demonstrated experience working effectively with a diverse population is required.
The selected candidate must be a team player who has a flexible schedule and available to work multiple shifts. The selected candidate must have valid New York State Security Guard License and New York State Driver’s License at the time of interview, as well as a clean driving record. This position offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits.
Public Safety Tour Supervisor: Hours/Shift: 35 hrs per week over 5-days, may include evenings, nights, weekends, and holidays. Must be able to work rotating and swing shifts and weekends Position may require selected candidate to have split regular days off.)
Under the supervision of the Director, and Associate Director of Public Safety, the Public Safety Tour Supervisor will be responsible for the supervision of a tour of proprietary and contract public safety and security personnel. These individuals are responsible for providing daily protective services and activities necessary to ensure a safe and secure campus environment for all students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the Brooklyn and Manhattan campus locations. The Tour Supervisor is responsible for exercising sound judgment and good decision making for all calls for service that occur during their assigned tour including; responses to security, fire, safety, and medical emergencies that arise on campus, as well as following timely notification procedures.
- Supervise security and public safety staff, enforce departmental rules and regulations governing officers’ performance, initiate disciplinary action where appropriate.
- Directs and coordinates activities, assignments and preparation of work schedule. Assists in set up of weekly guard schedule; monitor assignment of overtime; initiate needed changes to cover unscheduled absences.
- Investigate campus security incidents; prepare appropriate reports; ensure that proper campus personnel and/or external groups are notified when necessary (i.e., human resources, student affairs, NYPD, etc.). Responds to medical emergencies, fire alarms, and direct public safety and security personnel as needed.
- Trains and supervises public safety and contract security personnel. Provides general training activities at roll calls. Trains and evaluates performance of newly assigned officers. This includes submission of formal personnel evaluation forms.
- Assist in the coordination and review preparation of weekly payroll for submission to payroll department.
- Assist in scheduling and conducting fire drills including the maintenance of records for Fire Department inspections.
- Supervises and ensure accurate, complete, and correct report writing and documentation procedures and techniques, etc.
- Serve as liaison to the contract guard service, campus personnel, students and other outside constituencies (i.e., parents, community, etc.).
- Resolves minor complaints or conflicts occurring among tour officers. Processes civilian complaints.
- Assist in analyzing and implementing crime prevention techniques and training for students, faculty, staff and security personnel.
- Perform all other related duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent
Experience: Minimum five (5) years of experience supervising/managing public safety/security personnel in a law enforcement/security environment.
Knowledge and Skills: Must be computer literate, including Google Suite, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and possess excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Must be customer service orientated, demonstrate excellent documentation, listening, and conflict resolution skills. As well as the ability to analyze information and produce incident reports.
License & Certifications: Valid NYS driver’s license, New York State Security Guard License
Education: Prefer two years’ college with a Criminal Justice major or minor.
Experience: Prefer college/university campus public safety experience highly desirable. Crime prevention experience preferred. A background in a culturally diverse environment is also preferred.
License & Certifications: Current CPR & AED or EMT Certifications, NYC FDNY Fire Guard or Fire Life Safety Directors License.
Additional Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge of Clery & Title IX & the ability to speak a foreign language.
Please submit your cover letter and resume. If you are selected for an interview, please be prepared to provide at least 5 References via our on-line reference tool system. At least 2 of your References must be, or have been, your direct managers.