Job Description Summary
Bentley University invites applications for a Research Assistant position in the Center for Integration of Science and Industry. Successful applicants will be part of a dynamic, interdisciplinary team of researchers, students, and Executives in Residence focused on ways to accelerate the translation of scientific discoveries for public value. Research in the Center applies data science and analytics to understand the translational process including both the growth of science and technology, as well as the business models and investments that produce successful products and sustainable companies.
The Research Assistant provides data management, analysis, and programming assistance to the Center's research team under the guidance of faculty and Research Associates. The position is under the supervision of Dr. Fred Ledley, Director of the Center for Integration of Science & Industry and Professor of Natural & Applied Sciences and Management. The Research Assistant will have the opportunity to learn and apply advanced database and analytical methods to scientific and business problems. Projects include analytical modeling of technology growth and maturation, analysis of published literature using natural language processing and machine learning techniques, financial data collection and analysis, and applications of machine learning for technology forecasting.
This is a one-year appointment as a Research Assistant with the opportunity to extend for additional years based on satisfactory performance. Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.
The successful applicant will have a working knowledge of programming/scripting languages such as DQL, R, or Python, and a commitment to learn the specific programming/scripting tools used in the Center. As a member of a team with expertise spanning basic and pharmaceutical science, healthcare, business, and finance, the Research Assistant will have an opportunity to develop a broad understanding of the life science and healthcare industries, as well as the role of science in society. The position provides a strong foundation for graduate education in science or business, as well as careers in the life science and healthcare industries.
Please visit http://www.bentley.edu for more information about Bentley University and www.bentley.edu/sciindustry for more information about the Center for Integration of Science and Industry
The Research Assistant provides data management, analysis, and programming assistance to the Center's research team under the guidance of faculty and Research Associates. Responsibilities include:
- Collect and curate financial and scientific data from public databases. Maintain and update Center's data resource. Work with Center's researchers on data cleaning and analysis.
- Develop and apply methods for statistical analysis, data visualization, analytical modeling, natural language processing, or machine learning.
- Analyze and report data using various analytical and statistical methods. Prepare data visualizations, analyses, or reports as required.
- Co-author manuscripts in peer reviewed journals and represent the Center's research at scientific and industry meetings. (Authorship will be determined in accordance with best practices described by the Council of Science Editors or International Committee of Medical Journal Editors.)
- Adhere to the highest standards of personal, professional, and research integrity.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree in computer science, mathematics or natural science.
- Strong quantitative skills. Working knowledge of data collection, organization, graphing and simple statistical analysis.
- Working knowledge and commitment to learn programming/scripting languages (SQL, R, Python or Perl), visualization platforms (Tableau) or cloud computing (AWS).
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office, including Excel and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work as a member of a diverse research team in a highly collaborative and interactive environment. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are important.
- Individuals interested in transitioning from undergraduate or MS degrees in quantitative or natural sciences to graduate school or careers in the biopharmaceutical or healthcare industries, consulting, data science/analytics are encouraged to apply.
- Usual office environment with frequent sitting, walking, and standing, and occasional climbing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, and balancing.
- Frequent use of eye, hand and finger coordination enabling use of office machinery.
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.