Police Officer (12043)
Job DetailsLevel ExperiencedJob Location Mount St. Joseph University - Cincinnati, OHPosition Type Part TimeEducation Level High SchoolJob Shift AnyDescription
Under the immediate supervision of the Director of Public Safety, Lieutenant, and/or Sergeant, Police Officers are charged with the responsibility for carrying out assigned functions of the department. This includes protecting life and property, preserving the peace, preventing crime, and the enforcement of state and federal laws as well as rules and regulations of the University of Mount St. Joseph. Each officer will be accountable for conditions and incidents that develop during his/her tour of duty and are personally responsible for adherence to the rules and regulations of the University and the Department of Public Safety as they apply to all officers.
- Control traffic flow and parking conditions
- Investigate traffic complaints and accidents
- Investigate criminal complaints
- Issue College ID cards and parking permits
- Maintain key inventory and appropriate records
- Assists with fire and other safety inspections
- Provide oversight for policies, procedures, and BMV checks related to use of College vehicles
- Maintain office procedures
- Perform responsibilities of Duty Personnel as appropriate and when assigned
- Patrols buildings and grounds on foot and in patrol vehicle
- Note and report all situations or conditions which are discovered to be a danger to campus and public safety; remedy or secure the area until a remedy is effected
- Note all suspicious persons or occurrences that come to their attention, and take appropriate action
- Prepare and maintain files of daily activity reports, incident reports and all required paperwork in a detailed, timely and accurate manner
- Responsible for opening and securing buildings on campus at prescribed times
- Escorts of persons, money, and/or receipts as needed by College departments
- Assist stranded motorists whenever possible
- Assist local law enforcement and other emergency services as needed, responding to life squad and other fire and emergency runs
- Administer emergency victim care as appropriate
- Perform police duties at special events
- Contributes to team effort by welcoming new and different work requirements; exploring new opportunities to enhance the services of the department; helping others accomplish related job results as and where needed.
Director of Public Safety, Lieutenant, Sergeant and other department officers and staff; students, faculty, staff, college visitors, Sisters of Charity personnel and residents; emergency response personnel and other members of the campus community.
Works under general supervision where standard practice enables the officer to proceed independently on routine work referring questionable cases to the Lieutenant, Sergeant, or Director.Qualifications
Minimum high school diploma; certified peace officer
Peace Officers related experience required; experience with supervision and college campus safety and security issues preferred
Ohio Peace Officers Training Academy, Patrol Certification or equivalent; R.C.I.C. Mod I & II Certification; firearms qualification; clean criminal background and traffic record with current valid drivers license required.
- Exhibit a "student/customer first" orientation in providing exceptional service in all responsibilities and interactions demonstrating versatility in handling people and situations
- Adapt willingly and quickly to changing priorities, responsibilities, and customer needs and expectations; anticipate and identify customer needs
- Demonstrate a high energy, enthusiastic approach to duties and a commitment to liberal arts education
- Communicate, cooperate and collaborate well with others to achieve common office or College goals
- Willingly assist in various responsibilities as appropriate within the Division of Student Affairs and the College as required during high service demand times
- Demonstrate ability to work evening and weekend hours on a 24 hour, 7 day per week staff
- Develop and nurture an effective, productive and respectful rapport and working relationship with customers, co-workers, and various campus, community, and Sisters of Charity constituencies maintaining appropriate level of professionalism
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and organizational skills, a sense of humor, flexibility, and creativity
- Demonstrate strong written, telephone, and electronic (email and internet) communication skills
- Communicate information clearly and concisely and listen well to others
- Maintain a high level of accuracy, consistently reviewing work to detect errors, oversights or omissions
- Take immediate and independent action when necessary assuming initiative for creative problem solving
- Demonstrate creativity and high energy
- Accomplish tasks with follow through to completion
- Must possess aptitude for technological development and its implications for appropriate automation of office and procedures; proficient in Microsoft Office
Work Environment, Physical Demands:
Ability to handle stressful situations and difficult decisions; computer data input; multiple concurrent tasks with constant service interruptions; customer contact; confidentiality; detailed work; ability to effectively staff multiple shifts
To apply, please upload a cover letter, resume, and contact information with three professional references.
A review of resumes will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Mount St. Joseph University is an Equal Opportunity Employer