Mathematics Instructor (Part-Time) Madera Community College Center
Posting DetailsAnnouncement Information Posting NumberTitleMathematics Instructor (Part-Time) Madera Community College CenterCampus LocationMadera Community College CenterStart DateEssential Functions of Position
The ideal candidate will share the Madera Community College Center’s commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. We currently enroll over 5,000 students of which 66% are Latinx, 1% are Filipino, 6% are Asian, 3% are Black/African American, 19% are White, 1% American Indian/Alaska Native, and 3% are multiracial. MCCC is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the educational attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
Providing instruction in Mathematics in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evening and/or weekends, on-line or off-campus and large group instruction classes as needed, the instructor will be responsible for:
- Teaching developmental and transfer mathematics courses offered by the department;
- Maintaining standards of professional conduct and ethics appropriate to the professional position and currency in teaching mathematics;
- Communicating effectively with students and staff and maintaining effective working relationships;
- Developing/utilizing technologies for classroom presentations;
- Assessing student learning outcomes to improve student learning;
- Advising students;
- Participating in appropriate professional meetings and workshops; and
- Otherwise fulfilling all of the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
- Master’s degree in mathematics or applied mathematics;
- Bachelor’s degree in any of the above AND master’s degree in statistics, physics, or mathematics education;
- A valid California Community College Credential;
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires an equivalency).
All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need for equity-minded practice within the classroom.Desirable Qualifications
- Teaching experience at the secondary or post-secondary level;
- Teaching experience in the breadth of courses taught and the use of a variety of pedagogies;
- Demonstrated teaching ability;
- Willingness to teach on-line classes;
- Experience in computer assisted instruction and other instructional technologies;
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written) and maintain effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff and administration;
- Ability to develop new and current curriculum and focus on student learning outcomes to improve student learning;
- Knowledge of the current curriculum and assessment standards in mathematics education;
- Experience working with students of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds;
- Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding of how historical patterns of exclusions of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
- Willingness to examine and remediate one’s instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the classroom;
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
- Knowledge of the community college and its mission and goals.
Starting rates are $45.49 – $61.78 for lecture, $38.67 – $52.55 for lab, and $38.30 – $52.05 for non-instructional. Sick leave accrual is based on assignment hours.Selection Procedure
The selection and hiring process will be explained by the hiring department if the candidate is extended an opportunity to interview.
Please note: This position does not have a closing date and applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until the position(s) is/are filled. By applying for this position, you understand that you will be placed in a continuous pool. If at any time you are no longer interested in this position, please withdraw your application.Additional Information
This is a part-time position. Open until filled. Start dates may vary.Additional Information about the Positionhttp://scccd.peopleadmin.com/postings/2195Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * At the time of application, are your qualifications/degree(s) EXACTLY as stated in the Minimum Qualifications section of the job announcement? NOTE: If not, you must answer yes when asked if you would like to petition for equivalency (next question).
- * Would you like to petition for equivalency based on your education and/or experience including knowledge and skills gained from informal activities? NOTE: If your qualifications do not exactly match the minimum qualifications stated in the job announcement and you fail to petition for equivalency, your application will be considered incomplete.
- If yes, please describe your exceptional experiences, backgrounds or degrees which would be equivalent to the stated degree(s) or experience requirements.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you possess degree(s) earned from an institution outside of the United States? NOTE: If yes, you will be required to upload an evaluation service assessment (foreign transcript evaluation). A list of some available assessment agencies can be found at www.ed.gov under the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Academic Credentials section. Please upload under Optional Evaluation Service Assessment. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
- Transcripts (Unofficial copies accepted - must indicate conferred degree(s) that support the minimum qualifications)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- List of Professional References
- Evaluation Service Assessment
- Additional Documents
- Letters of Recommendation