Construction Instructor (Part-Time) Fresno City College
Posting DetailsAnnouncement Information Posting NumberTitleConstruction Instructor (Part-Time) Fresno City CollegeCampus LocationFresno City CollegeStart DateEssential Functions of Position
The ideal candidate will share Fresno City College’s commitment to educating its racially and socioeconomically diverse student population. We currently enroll over 22,000 students of which 56% are Latinx, 10% are Asian/Pacific Island, 5% are African American, 22% are White, and 6% are multiracial. FCC is a Hispanic-Serving Institution, reflecting the great responsibility that the College has to the education attainment and economic well-being of the surrounding community. The successful candidate will join a department dedicated to the use of curriculum responsive to the students it serves.
Providing instruction in construction, on the Fresno City College campus and/or at off-site community campus locations, the instructor will be responsible for:
- Completing training to become an NCCER certified instructor;
- Entering data into the NCCER data bank on each student;
- Classroom instruction using the assigned textbook;
- Providing hands-on lab instruction related to each chapter in the textbook;
- Orderly management of materials and equipment;
- Coordinating with the onsite construction classes and instructors as required;
- Completing all documents necessary to obtain permits prior to the beginning of a project;
- Supervising students during hands-on projects;
- Coordinating the scheduling of subcontractors;
- Working with division staff in the areas of electrical, plumbing, architecture, and heating and air conditioning;
- Completing project(s) with permits signed off ready for sale by the end of the Spring semester or other to be established completion dates;
- Duties may include assignments in a variety of instructional settings and times, including evening and/or weekends, online or off-campus, and large group instruction classes as needed; and
- Otherwise fulfilling the duties and responsibilities of instructors as required by Administrative Regulation 7122.
- A bachelor’s degree and two years of directly related professional experience;
- An associate degree and six years of directly related professional experience;
- A valid California Community College credential;
- The equivalent education and/or experience (requires and equivalency).
All candidates must have evidence of responsiveness to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, as these factors relate to the need of equity-minded practices within the classroom.Desirable Qualifications
- Training and experience in residential home construction;
- Experience working with students of various cultural backgrounds;
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with students and staff;
- Related work and professional experience;
- Recent experience working with African American, Latinx, Native American, and other racially minoritized students in the classroom and an understanding how historical patterns of exclusions of these groups in higher education shape patterns of participation and outcomes;
- Willingness to examine and re-mediate one’s instructional, relational, and classroom practices to more effectively engage and support racially minoritized students;
- Experience and skill with addressing issues of equity in the classroom;
- Potential for contribution to institutional vitality and growth; and
- Knowledge of the community college and its missions and goals.
Starting rates are $45.49 – $61.78 for lecture and $38.67 – $52.55 for lab Sick leave accrual is based on assignment hours.Selection Procedure
The selection and hiring process will be explained by the hiring department if the candidate is extended an opportunity to interview.Additional InformationAdditional Information about the Position
NOTE: Fresno City College’s current equivalency policy reads as follows:
Successful completion of a high school diploma or the GED equivalent, plus any one of more of the following:
- A California General Contractors License
- A minimum of 10 years experience in the construction industry
- State Certified Journeyman Carpenter with a minimum of 6 years construction experience
- A minimum of 6 years teaching experience in a construction related area
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * At the time of application, are your qualifications/degree(s) EXACTLY as stated in the Minimum Qualifications section of the job announcement? NOTE: If not, you must answer yes when asked if you would like to petition for equivalency (next question).
- * Would you like to petition for equivalency based on your education and/or experience including knowledge and skills gained from informal activities? NOTE: If your qualifications do not exactly match the minimum qualifications stated in the job announcement and you fail to petition for equivalency, your application will be considered incomplete.
- If yes, please describe your exceptional experiences, backgrounds or degrees which would be equivalent to the stated degree(s) or experience requirements.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you possess degree(s) earned from an institution outside of the United States? NOTE: If yes, you will be required to upload an evaluation service assessment (foreign transcript evaluation). A list of some available assessment agencies can be found at www.ed.gov under the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Academic Credentials section. Please upload under Optional Evaluation Service Assessment. Failure to do so will result in an incomplete application.
- Transcripts (Unofficial copies accepted - must indicate conferred degree(s) that support the minimum qualifications)
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- Letter of Interest
- List of Professional References
- Evaluation Service Assessment
- Additional Documents
- Letters of Recommendation