(Full-time) Custodian (Tehama Campus)
Description of Basic Functions and Responsibilities
The Shasta College Physical Plant department is seeking to build a pool of qualified applicants for permanent custodial work. We will respond to applicants based on our current needs.
Shasta College is committed to providing its diverse student population with equitable education outcomes, contributing to the social, cultural, intellectual, and economic development of our communities. The college has been recognized as a leader in developing and implementing innovative education programs to increase student success, including accelerated pathways for high school students to achieve a bachelor's degree and for returning students to complete their Associate and Bachelor's degrees. Shasta College enrolls more than 11,000 students annually and provides educational services to students with a wide range of skills and abilities.
Our ideal candidate is motivated to join a campus community prioritizing the success of our racially and socio-economically diverse staff and student population. Providing equitable outcomes so all members of our community may enjoy safe, healthy, and vibrant educational and employment environments is critical to our success.
Classified positions in the California Community College system offer a unique opportunity to contribute to the empowerment of our students seeking to improve their lives and communities. Our classified staff engage with a diverse employee and student populations, facilitating equitable outcomes for all by implementing and supporting our various employment and academic programs. As a classified staff member at Shasta College, you will join a vibrant community of professionals and educators working together to provide a positive, healthy educational environment where our students experience diverse academic and cultural perspectives. A career in classified service at Shasta College offers a highly rewarding and enriching employment experience.
DESCRIPTION OF BASIC FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform general cleaning custodial functions at assigned campus classrooms, buildings, and/or other facilities. Employees in this classification receive general supervision within a framework of standard policies and procedures. Employees in this job class exercise responsibility for the general cleanliness of assigned campus areas.
CLASSIFICATION: Range 24 on the current Classified Salary Schedule, 40 hours per week, 12 months per year. Work assignment hours are 6:00 p.m. - 2:30 a.m., Monday through Thursday, 3:30 p.m. - 12:00 a.m. Friday.
SUPERVISOR: Custodial Services Supervisor designee
BENEFITS: Holiday, vacation and sick time will be provided. Our competitive benefits package includes medical, dental, and vision insurance provided at a share of cost on a pretax basis, CalPERS Retirement and an employee assistance program (EAP).
Employees have the option to contribute to:
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
- 403(b) and 457 Retirement Plans
- Section 125 Plan including Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) and Dependent Day Care Accounts
- Disability Income Insurance
- Cancer Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Accident Only Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Performs general janitorial and custodial functions at assigned campus areas
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, waxes and buffs linoleum, tile and wood floors
- Cleans, vacuums, and shampoos rugs and carpets in school plant offices and rooms
- Cleans, dusts and polishes walls, furniture, woodwork, and office equipment
- Cleans blackboards, empties pencil sharpeners, and cleans classrooms in routine manner
- Washes, scrubs, mops, and disinfects restrooms
- Cleans and polishes metal work such as door panels and hand railings
- Washes cleans windows and glass doors
- Empties and cleans waste containers, picks up paper and other refuse on grounds in immediate area of assigned buildings
- Sweeps sidewalks, entrances, and breezeways
- Assists in moving or rearranging chairs, tables, desks, furniture, and other equipment
- Cleans light fixtures and replaces light globes
- Reports safety sanitary, fire hazards
- Operates cleaning equipment such as vacuums, floor cleaning and polishing machines, scrubbers, etc.
- Locks and unlocks doors and gates to ensure security of buildings and related areas
- Performs other duties similar to the above in scope and functions as required
- A valid and appropriate California Driver's License
- Modern cleaning methods, materials, tools, and equipment
- The safe use and operation of equipment and chemicals used in janitorial and custodial work
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Safely and effectively use and apply cleaning agents, equipment, and materials
- Meet the physical requirements necessary to safely and effectively perform required duties
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties
- One year of experience in custodial work or the equivalent
- Equivalent or completion of the eighth grade
- Cover letter addressing criteria listed in the position announcement
- Current resume
- College transcripts (unofficial will be accepted at the time of application)
- After application has been submitted, all application materials will be screened.
- Internal candidates must also submit all required materials to be considered.
- Candidate evaluations will not be considered.
- Reference letters from any member of the Hiring Committee or Board Members will not be considered.
- Interviews will be by invitation only.
- Interviews are held on campus. No Skype or Phone Interviews.
- The District does not provide expense reimbursement for those invited to initial interviews.
- The District does not reimburse for new hire moving expenses.
Longevity pay in accordance with Section 8.8 of the Classified Employee Collective Bargaining Agreement. The Shasta-Tehama-Trinity Joint Community College District ("Shasta College") does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religious preference, age, disability (physical and mental), pregnancy (including pregnancy, childbirth, and medical conditions related to pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, sexual orientation, genetics, military or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law in admission and access to, or treatment in employment, educational programs or activities at any of its campuses. Shasta College also prohibits harassment on any of these bases, including sexual harassment, as well as sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking