Assistant to the Associate Dean of Advisory Services
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science invites highly-motivated, qualified applicants to apply for the Assistant to the Associate Dean of Research & Advisory Services.
The Virginia Institute of Marine Science (VIMS) is the graduate school of marine science at William & Mary with a unique tripart mission to conduct research in coastal ocean and estuarine science, education students and citizens and provide advisory service to policy makers, industry and the public. The VIMS community is made up of approximately 500 faculty, staff and students. The Office of Research and Advisory (ORAS) provides oversight and leadership for the research and advisory portions of the mission. The ORAS currently comprises three (3) individuals, headed by the Associate Dean of Research and Advisory Services.
The Assistant to the Associate Dean will provide executive-level, confidential, detail-oriented and complex administrative support. The successful incumbent will be self starter with the ability to work independently while managing multiple and competing priorities. Additionally, s/he will possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills; exercises tact and discretion, in all interactions.
Reporting to the Associate Dean of Research and Advisory Services, and working under general supervision, the Assistant maintains records, performs advance level calendar management, assists with internal and external communications, and manages the budget of the Office of Research and Advisory Services (ORAS). A core function of this position is to assist with the compilation, development and editing of reports from the Office of Research and Advisory Services (ORAS).
Additional core responsibilities include:
- Serve as first point of contact for the ORAS, interfacing with both internal and external constituencies.
- Assist in the development of advisory communications to federal, state and local agencies emanating from the ORAS, includes managing a project tracking database.
- Provide budget monitoring and expenditure tracking. Reconcile all expenditures. Prepare financial reports as well as annual budget requests.
- Prepare correspondence announcing meetings, committee agendas and all meeting materials. Draft minutes of the full meetings of committees.
- Assist with website updates and maintenance.
Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong administrative skills with demonstrated proficiency in proofreading and editing and drafting documents with careful attention to detail and accuracy.
- Strong planning skills with the ability to coordinate projects and manage timelines expectations.
- Knowledge of fiscal processes and procedures with the ability to monitor, track and reconcile expenses.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with a strong customer service orientation and the ability to work effectively with internal and external constituencies, while exercising diplomacy and tact in all interactions.
- Strong team player, with proven ability to work collaboratively and collegially across a diverse populations of students, faculty, government officials and the public.
- Strong organizational skills with the demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal oversight, while managing multiple and competing priorities and deadlines with fluidity.
- High degree of computer proficiency in a variety of software applications to include MS Office (specifically, Outlook, Word and Excel) and working knowledge of web-based applications and data management and producing reports.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability solve logistical problems and identify potential roadblocks or barriers for product completion.
- Administrative support experience (supporting a department head or program).
- Customer service experience in a public facing role.
- Experience with calendar management.
Bachelors degree in marine, environmental or related field
- Knowledge of cascade or other website editing tool
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting practices and procedures (GAAP)
- Experience with website maintenance.
- Experience with technical / scientific writing
- Experience with budget management and financial reporting.
- Experience working with natural resource agencies is desirable.
- Experience working in a higher education / Research environment.
- Experience in Outlook Calendar Management, is a plus.
William & Mary and the Virginia Institute of Marine Science values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.