Academic Dean, American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine at CIIS
California Institute of Integral Studies (CIIS) is an internationally-recognized leader in integral education. CIIS has an enrollment of more than 1,400 students pursuing degrees in a variety of academic programs in its American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (ACTCM) and schools of Consciousness and Transformation, Professional Psychology and Health, and Undergraduate Studies. In addition, CIIS hosts a vibrant art exhibition program through The Arts at CIIS, and offers a dynamic array of events through its Public Programs division, including workshops, lectures, and certificate programs. The University provides affordable acupuncture and mental health services to the San Francisco Bay Area through its ten award-winning clinics. CIIS is accredited by the Western Senior College and University Commission (WSCUC) and Accreditation Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM).
Description and Essential Functions
This is a rare opportunity for an individual with vision and enthusiasm for the future of Acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine to assume a leadership position at one of the oldest, most prestigious schools of Chinese medicine in the US. In addition to being a leader in its field, ACTCM is one of four schools of the California Institute of Integral Studies, a regionally accredited university. This affords tremendous potential for cross-disciplinary study and research, an exciting prospect for the new Dean.
The Dean at ACTCM at CIIS fulfills an important leadership role within ACTCM, the wider university, and the fields of acupuncture and traditional Chinese Medicine in the United States. The Dean is responsible for ensuring the integrity of the academic and clinical programs within the college and for providing the leadership that supports educational planning, program development, faculty teaching, and scholarly activities. The Dean remains informed of major trends in the fields of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Integrative Health and works to ensure that ACTCM maintains a leadership position in these fields.
The Dean of ACTCM at CIIS provides academic leadership to the school and is responsible for all ACTCM programs and clinical trainings. The Dean is a member of the academic leadership team of CIIS and works to ensure a high quality of education for all students and a positive working environment for students, faculty, and staff. The Dean provides supervision to the Director of Clinical Education, Program Domain Chairs, the Program Manager, support staff, and an Administrative Assistant.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides supervision to the Director of Clinical Education and to Directors and Chairs of all academic programs. Supervises selected staff positions, including Program Manager and Administrative Assistant to the Dean.
- Oversees all academic programs, including planning, development, and review to ensure appropriate education outcomes, program quality, effectiveness, and financial viability.
- Provides academic leadership to the faculty through the ACTCM Program Committee.
- Oversees systematic program review, including educational objectives, course syllabi, student-learning outcomes, comprehensive exams, and student achievements.
- Monitors academic data collections and assessment to ensure that programs achieve educational goals and objectives.
- Chairs the ACTCM Deans and Program Committees.
- Oversees and monitors the development and implementation of academic strategic planning within the framework of the CIIS Strategic Plan.
- Collaborates with the Provost to coordinate the process of faculty hires, scheduling, development, evaluation, promotion, retention, and termination.
- Provides support for faculty scholarly activities and faculty development through ACTCM-specific activity and engagement in CIIS faculty development processes.
- Promotes the enhancement of faculty teaching skills and methodologies, content presentations, and technical abilities.
- Oversees the development and management of the school's academic and clinical budget.
- Collaborates with the Provost on regional and programmatic accreditation and academic strategic planning.
- Collaborates with the admissions office regarding admissions issues and oversees evaluation of transfer credits.
- Teaches in ACTCM programs; extent to be determined with the Provost.
- Doctorate in acupuncture and Chinese medicine field is preferred.
- A minimum of five years of academic administrative, supervisory, and management experience at an accredited or candidate program in acupuncture and Chinese medicine or equivalent.
- A minimum of five years of experience in teaching AOM at an accredited or candidate program in acupuncture and Chinese medicine is preferred.
- A commitment to innovation, improvement and student-centered engaged learning.
- Ability to interact positively and effectively with faculty, students, staff and the public.
- Excellent writing, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite and academic software.
- Experience with managing the content of academic program website pages.
- Well-organized, attentive to detail, and able to meet deadlines.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends, as needed.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Salary commensurate with skills and experience.
NOTES TO CANDIDATE
- Working Conditions -- Duties are primarily performed in an office environment at a desk or computer terminal, typically, Monday through Friday. Some evening and weekend hours are required.
- Background Check -- Due to the sensitivity and requirements of our positions, you should expect to undergo and be cleared of an employment background/criminal check, if extended an offer for employment. You may also be asked to provide proof of educational degree(s), licenses or credentials pertinent to the position. If your job requires driving on behalf of CIIS you will be required to provide proof of a valid driver's license.
- Visa Sponsorship -- Visa sponsorship is not available for this position. Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
- Relocation Assistance - Relocation assistance is available for this position, within CIIS policies.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY POLICY
CIIS is committed to providing an open, fair, inclusive, non-discriminatory environment for all individuals across differences of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, socio- economic status, ethnicity, age, physical ability, or medical condition. We seek to increase the presence, representation and inclusion of U.S. historically under-represented people of color, international, bilingual and bicultural students, faculty and staff; and, to provide an environment that will attract and retain individuals identified as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning and intersex (LGBTQQI).
Screening begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Estimated start date is July 1, 2019.
Using the Apply Now link, please submit a Resume and Cover Letter online.