TUR Learning Support Specialist
TUR Learning Support Specialist Job no: 497720
Position type: Staff Full Time
Benefit Status: Benefited-Union
Campus: UMass Lowell
Department: Toxic Use Reduction Institute
Salary: $48,000 to $55,000/year commensurate with experience
Applications Open: Feb 01 2019
General Summary of Position:
The Toxics Use Reduction Institute (TURI) is a research, policy and education institute located at UMass Lowell, whose main responsibility is to implement the Commonwealth’s Toxics Use Reduction Act. The Institute assists Massachusetts companies, environmental health and safety professionals, and communities in their toxics use reduction efforts through education and training, research, grants, laboratory services, information and technical support for companies and communities.
The TUR (Toxics Use Reduction) Learning Support Specialist will facilitate Massachusetts company and community success through identification and dissemination of technical information on toxics use reduction, resource conservation, environmental management systems and sustainability. A key element of this individual’s responsibilities will be assistance with the delivery of core TURI training events. Job duties include:
- Provide logistical and technical support in the development and delivery of TURI’s twice-annual continuing education conferences and other training events: Assist in identifying appropriate venues and sessions, coordinating session logistics, communicating with session managers and speakers, and developing associated materials and documentation.
- Provide logistical and technical support in the development and delivery of online training events, including the blended format TUR Planner Certification Course and periodic webinars: Assist in updating and managing course materials, evaluating new features, monitoring online programs, and communicating with participants.
- Assist with identifying possible technical topics and/or speakers for future training events.
- Review and curate technical information derived from periodical literature.
- Develop and maintain mechanisms for disseminating information on TUR, chemical hazards, pollution prevention, resource conservation and sustainability; these mechanisms include TURI’s weekly Greenlist Bulletin, curated online subject guides, and TURI’s website.
- Assist with information and document requests: Respond to public requests for specific documents accessible through TURI’s library, other UMass libraries, or subscription services.
- Assist with general administrative duties as needed.
*This position involves occasional local travel and may require occasional work during evenings and weekends.
Minimum Qualifications (Required):
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, occupational or public health, or related technical field. Candidates with library science or education degrees with a minor/emphasis in related technical disciplines will also be considered
- Two years' directly related experience preferred; postgraduate education may be substituted for experience
- Demonstrated professional written and verbal communication skills
- Candidate should have particular interest in supporting successful adult learning environments
- Learning management systems and online learning methods
- Events planning processes
- Web content management systems
- Library resource management tools
- Experience in toxics use reduction, pollution prevention, sustainability and/or resource conservation
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Only Internal Professional (SEIU 888 Professional Union) Bargaining candidates will be considered during the first 10 business days of the posting. All other candidates will be considered after that period.
Initial review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. However, the position may close when an adequate number of qualified applications are received.
Please include a resume, cover letter and writing sample with your application. Writing sample can be on any subject. Names and contact information of three references will be required during the application process.