Librarian Asst. Professor
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-01-30
If you are a current employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.
The University of Miami (UM) is considered among the top tier institutions of higher education in the U.S. for its academic excellence, superior medical care, and cutting-edge research. At the U, we are committed to attracting a talented workforce to support our common purpose of transforming lives through teaching, research, and service. Through our values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity and Teamwork (DIRECCT) we strive to create an environment where everyone contributes in making UM a great place to work. We are one of the largest private employers in Miami-Dade County; home to more than 13,400 faculty and staff from all over the world.
Under the general direction of the Head of Systems, this individual will collaborate with library staff in
the six University of Miami Libraries [Richter, Architecture, Business, Marine Science, Medical, Music],
the Law Library, and UM Information Technology [UMIT] in the support and administration of the
shared ExLibris Alma library services platform/ILS and Primo discovery service and related integrated
library and enterprise applications. The incumbent in this position is responsible for assisting with the
daily maintenance and operation of the library service platforms and on technical projects with third
party integrations affecting library systems. The position performs multiple functions simultaneously:
technical analysis, system management, training, and customer support.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Works with Head of Systems and other library staff in maintenance and support of the Alma/Primo
platforms and ATLAS Systems applications, ILLiad and Aeon. Assists with the planning and
implementation of the overall direction and strategies for the development of these automated
systems and delivers efficient service.
• Works closely with library staff to survey library system requirements in order to interpret and
define needs. Performs detailed analysis and design of new system functionality, and modifies the
design of existing ones to meet the needs of library system users. Provides information to library
staff about what is available and possible in computerized systems.
• Coordinates system service, maintenance, updates and/or replacement with other Systems staff,
participating libraries, and vendor representatives. Coordinates testing, pilot, and implementation
programs for new system features or programs.
• Monitors scheduled jobs, data integrations and scripts for successful processing and communicates
with appropriate data/service/system owner to facilitate resolution.
• Analyzes, documents and resolves system issues. Coordinates with library staff and UMIT to resolve
problems. Works with system vendor to track and resolve problems that cannot be addressed inhouse.
Provides regular reports to users concerning reported, pending and resolved issues.
• Works with UMIT & UML staff to integrate enterprise technology platforms & tools, such as
Workday ERP, PeopleSoft, and Blackboard LMS, with the Libraries’ computing infrastructure.
• Prepares complete and accurate documentation to support systems and workflows. Assesses
training requirements for systems and assists in the creation and delivery of relevant training to
• Keeps current with integrated systems and discovery technology trends, as well as activities of
ExLibris and its users groups. Travels and attends meetings as needed to support library systems.
Communications, Relationships, and Service (Covers all areas of performance)
• Maintains a helpful and supportive customer service behavior with all library customers internal and
• Establishes effective and supportive interdepartmental relationships, and participates in cross
training opportunities to increase library and unit effectiveness and to effectively disseminate
• Communicates frequently and effectively with all University staff, faculty, and administrators in a
timely manner regarding procedures, policies, and other necessary information.
• When possible, participates in committees and teams within and outside the Libraries to provide
services to the Libraries, University, and the Community. Attends monthly Ex Libris Coordinating
Council and Functional Group meetings.
Other duties and special projects as assigned
• May occasionally work non-standard hours to deal with system failures and upgrades. Will be
expected to be on call to handle urgent technical problems.
The Integrated Systems Librarian reports to the Head of Library Systems. Works collaboratively across
all University libraries, including the Law Library.
On a daily basis works with library faculty, teaching faculty, staff, student employees, students, and
campus IT. Exercises delegated authority, recommends and participates in decisions and actions at the
QUALIFICATIONS (Education, Experience, Skills, Training, etc.)
• MLS or equivalent.
• Background in computer science or a relevant field; or equivalent combination of relevant
experience and training.
• Knowledge of relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL or similar) and SQL fundamentals.
• Experience with at least 1 programming language.
• Experience manipulating large data sets.
• Outstanding problem-solving skills.
• Project management and coordination skills.
• Strong public or customer service skills.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills; Ability to explain technical issues or provide
technical instruction to individuals with diverse technological proficiency.
• Work independently and with minimal supervision.
• One year of experience in system administration or support
• Experience with library management applications/systems (library service platforms/ILS,
discovery systems, etc.)
• Familiarity with XML/XSLT