Director of Maintenance
Director of MaintenanceTracking Code602-674 Job Description
Valparaiso University now invites applicants for our Full-time Director of Maintenance position.
The Director of Maintenance will plan and organize the operations for maintenance and preventative maintenance, while providing constant leadership, supervision, and service. Manage the day to day maintenance and repair of buildings in the fields of electrical, mechanical, plumbing, carpentry, and painting. Manage the operations of the maintenance staff and ensure that work is being performed to VU standards and within a proper time frame. Maintain good communication with internal and external customers. Order parts and supplies. Perform annual evaluations and issuing disciplinary action of maintenance staff.
- Personnel Management: motivate and lead staff to accomplish goals of the department. Ensuring coordination across campus to maximize efficiency and opportunities to enhance success.
- Customer relations: Work with key campus customers to foster effective working relationships.
- Budget and Operations Planning: manages and oversees the Maintenance department budget to meet established guidelines; prioritizes expenditures and assists in the preparation of capital equipment and operations budgets.
- Review and approve payroll and time-off for staff.
- Supervise the purchasing and workflow coordinator and maintenance staff, provide coaching, identify and document performance strengths and weaknesses of each employee
- Monitor and manage workflow of staff to ensure optimal sequencing is taking place to maximize efficiency in completing work orders
- Monitor and manage the work flow of preventative maintenance to ensure the work is being completed and on schedule
- Act as the University’s Facilities liaison for rental properties. This includes walkthroughs, repairs, and maintenance.
- Work with the Manager of Chillers, Boilers and Building Automation Systems to ensure equipment and system maintenance.
- Oversee University fleet vehicle maintenance to ensure driver safety and preventative maintenance. Including oil and filter changes, tires, brakes, and tune-ups.
- Perform evaluations and documenting day to day incidents that require keeping on record
- Monitor and assess the overall work of completed tasks by each maintenance trade to ensure that both quality and quantity of work is being held to an appropriate standard
- Assist in disciplinary needs along with the Executive Director of Facilities as it relates to job performance. If issues become repetitive or elevated in severity, the issue needs to be documented and reported to HR.
- Meet with customers face to face to build a good relationship with the maintenance department. Attend meetings with campus constituents and participate as a member in department and campus committees.
- Review and approve key work orders by diligently adhering to University policy.
- Work with the Purchasing and Work Flow Coordinator on ordering parts and supplies.
- Approve purchases up to designated threshold of authority and monitor overall maintenance budget and forecasting of future purchasing needs for the fiscal year.
- Assess the overall maintenance staff morale and provide suggestions to improve if needed
- Identify maintenance staff training needs, group activities, and coaching needs.
- Ensure safety training is occurring, safety practices are being followed, and staff have adequate PPE.
- Coordinate with other departments for special events such as Commencement, Homecoming, groundbreakings, and dedications
- Determine work to be performed in-house versus outsourcing and develop plan to perform more in house over time with training.
- Work with the Building Automation Systems team to ensure equipment and system maintenance.
- Prepare and develop bid specifications for maintenance systems contracts and ensure bids are issued, received, and reviewed in a timely manner.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
- List of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
- Ability to professionally communicate with a variety of people.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Ability to walk throughout the campus.
- Lifting and or carrying objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
- Frequent pushing/pulling /bending.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders.
- Work from a ladder and work with arms and hands overhead
- Working with equipment or performing procedures where carelessness would probably result in minor cuts, bruises, or muscle strains.
- Ability to work long hours at manual tasks.
- Broad range of experience and knowledge of building maintenance and systems.
- Ability to organize work and set up projects.
- Good attitude and team player.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- 5+ years of maintenance experience and some supervision preferred.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and pass all University driving requirements to drive a University vehicle.
- Ability to be on call 24/7 and respond to emergencies.