Assistant Professor of Biology
Winthrop University: College of Arts and Sciences: Biology
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Open Date:Feb 4, 2019
The Biology Department at Winthrop University invites applicants for an assistant professorship with expertise in anatomy and physiology to join a department comprising 18 full-time faculty, over 400 undergraduate majors, and 20 MS students. Winthrop University, located in the Charlotte, North Carolina metropolitan region, is a liberal arts, masters-granting state university. The successful candidate will demonstrate evidence of excellence in teaching, a strong commitment to student learning and development, and the ability to establish an independent research program that attracts both undergraduate and graduate students. This 9-month tenure-track faculty position with a rank of Assistant Professor requires a Ph.D. in a biological science or an equivalent area (ABDs will be considered). Review of applications will begin on March 15, 2019. Application materials received after the deadline may be considered if an acceptable candidate has not been found.
1. Teach courses in human anatomy and physiology
2. Teach additional courses that could include Principles of Cell and Molecular Biology, Scientific Process in Biology, Integration of Biological Principles, courses that contribute to the general education program, and/or other courses to give a total of 12 credit hours each semester.
3. Develop additional undergraduate and graduate courses in area of specialization
4. Appropriate scholarly involvement in field of specialization
5. Effective advising of both undergraduate and graduate students
6. Engage in professional stewardship to the department, college, university, discipline, and community, as appropriate.
7. Other duties as assigned by the department chair.
- PhD in a Biological Science with strong background in anatomy and physiology and the ability to teach human anatomy and physiology and additional courses that could include Principles of Cell and Molecular Biology, Scientific Process in Biology, Integration of Biological Principles, and courses that contribute to the general education program. ABDs will be considered for appointment in a non-tenure track position at the rank of instructor if all degree requirements are not completed by the expected start date of August 16, 2019.
- Evidence of excellence in teaching, a strong commitment to student learning and development, and the ability to teach a diverse student body with support strategies for underrepresented minority students
- Evidence of an ability to establish an independent research program that will include both undergraduate and graduate students
- Evidence of excellent interpersonal skills and strong personal ethics for mentorship of student research projects
Individuals wishing to be considered for this position need to submit the following materials through Interfolio:
- Letter of application
- Current curriculum vitae that includes names, addresses, e-mail addresses, and phone numbers of at least three professional references
- Three letters of recommendation
- All graduate degree transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable for application but official transcripts will be required for an offer of employment)
- Detailed statement of teaching philosophy
- Detailed statement of future research plans
- Student course evaluations and/or other evidence of excellence in teaching
Review of applications will begin on March 15, 2019. Application materials received after the deadline may be considered if an acceptable candidate has not been found. For Questions about the position please contact:
Dr. Dwight Dimaculangan
Chair of the Search Committee
Department of Biology
Rock Hill, SC 29733
Phone: 803-323-2111, ext. 6424
About Winthrop University
Founded in 1886 and located in Rock Hill, South Carolina, Winthrop University offers its 6,000-plus undergraduate and graduate students an educational experience that blends liberal arts, professional programs, global awareness, and civic engagement. In its degree-granting Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Education, and Visual and Performing Arts, Winthrop embraces only those programs and activities that can be delivered at an exemplary level. Winthrop is well known for its inclusive and supportive campus environment, with University College supporting programs in both academic and student affairs. Winthrop University is achieving national stature as a competitive and distinctive co-educational, public, residential, comprehensive, values-oriented institution. The values of service, excellence, diversity, community, and leadership provide the foundation for the University’s continuing development and shape Winthrop’s continuing success. Numerous national accolades reflect the sustained high quality and value of the Winthrop Experience, including the most recent U.S. News & World Report’s ranking of Winthrop as one of the top-10 public comprehensive universities in the South. Winthrop is an active member of the Rock Hill community and is recognized as a key component of the region’s economic resurgence. Approximately 20 minutes from Charlotte, North Carolina, Winthrop has direct access to and is engaged in a broad and expansive regional arts and business community. Winthrop’s beautiful campus encompasses a rich architectural blend of neo-Georgian buildings and is included in the National Register of Historic Places. The attractive recreational and research complex area that surrounds Winthrop Lake is home to Winthrop’s 18 Division I men’s and women’s sports.
Winthrop University is committed to providing a safe campus community. Winthrop conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
This institution is using Interfolio's Faculty Search to conduct this search. Applicants to this position receive a free Dossier account and can send all application materials, including confidential letters of recommendation, free of charge.