The Board of Trustees of Tyler Junior College (TJC) invites applications and nominations for the position of College President. The President is the chief executive officer and reports to a nine-member Board of Trustees elected by the tax district residents.
The President is responsible for implementing Board policies. They also represent the institution and develop relationships with multiple communities in the district, the Texas Association of Community Colleges, the Texas Coordinating Board, accrediting agencies, state and local governments, other educational partners-locally, across the state as well as nationally, and independent school districts within the service area.
Master’s required; Doctorate preferred, from a regionally accredited institution.
Minimum of three years of demonstrated, successful senior executive experience, preferably in an educational institution with multiple locations.
A strong commitment to student success and demonstrated experience cultivating, nurturing and maintaining a culture of diversity and equity as a means to accomplish student achievement.
Politically astute with a record of proven advocacy skills and a solid understanding of local, state and national legislative processes and issues.
Successful demonstrated experience partnering with the College Foundation and other community organizations for resource development.
Ability to establish and maintain partnerships throughout the district, including business, industry, K-12, other higher education institutions and other community organizations.
Characteristics and Qualities
- A student-centered president, dedicated to leading a college that places student access and student success as key institutional priorities;
- A leader with experience in strategic enrollment management, including outreach to underrepresented populations;
- An ethical, authentic, visible leader who will develop and maintain a high level of trust and respect throughout the college and within the greater communities;
- An individual who inspires and supports a culture of evidence-based decision-making;
- A knowledgeable, skillful and innovative leader who will collaboratively manage a complex set of institutional challenges and issues, making difficult decisions focused on moving the College forward in a productive and sustainable way that continues to promote student success;
- An inclusive leader dedicated to valuing and advocating for increased student and employee diversity, innovation and professional development, employee engagement and input, and measurable institutional results and accountability;
- A leader who has demonstrated community engagement and commitment to the comprehensive mission, vision and values of TJC in urban, suburban, rural, business and industry settings;
- A person who exhibits a comprehensive understanding of the opportunities that new technologies bring to the current learning environment, and the practical knowledge to bring these to implementation and utilization for the benefit of students, faculty and administration;
- An inspiring leader with a clear vision of higher education and a consensus builder who will bring the College and communities to a level of greater appreciation and participation in developing TJC as an educational institution for the future;
- An experienced person who values the contributions of employees, and who will pro-actively work with personnel;
- An effective communicator, listener, and advocate with strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to share and to elicit information, ideas, and policy with students, staff, and the public in both written and verbal formats;
- A leader who applies business acumen, emotional intelligence, and exemplary social judgment and exercises self-awareness.
Nomination & Application Process
The target date for receipt of applications is 03/11/2019. Applicant packets received after 03/11/2019 are not guaranteed review.
On-campus interviews of finalists anticipated during the week of April 22nd.
The start date is July 1, 2019.
Transcripts of all higher education degrees will be requested from the finalists.
How to Apply:
This is a confidential search process. To ensure full consideration, applications must be received by March 11, 2019, though applications will continue to be accepted until a successful candidate has been named.
To apply go to https://acctsearches.org/president-tyler-junior-college-tx and upload your documents.
Candidates will need to have the following information or materials available to complete the application:
- A letter of application (not to exceed five pages) that succinctly addresses how the candidate meets the qualifications, experience, characteristics and qualities identified in the Position Profile and demonstrates how their experience and professional qualifications prepare them to serve as the President of TJC.
- A current resume including an email address and cellular telephone number.
- A list of eight references: example, two to three supervisors, two to three direct reports and two to three faculty and/or staff members from current and former institutions.
For additional information, nominations or confidential inquiries please contact:
- Bill Holda, Ed.D., ACCT Search Consultant, [email protected], (903) 987-3332 (mobile)
- Julie Golder, J.D., Vice President of Search Services, ACCT, [email protected], (202) 384-5816 (mobile), 202-775-4466 (office)
*An ACCT Search*