Director of Accounting Services
- Supervises grants and contracts, accounts payable, transportation and vending, and general ledger processes.
- Reviews requisition requests from other departments; reviews agency accounts, cooperative development energy programs, and assets exceeding stated limits.
- Prepares and analyzes financial reports for submission to external agencies, the Board of Regents, federal and state agencies, and campus departments.
- Coordinates and conducts monthly and quarterly reviews of financial reports to awarding agencies; reviews manual invoices to agencies for reimbursements.
- Coordinates with other university staff to resolve issues.
- Prepares journal generation for all sub-modules when needed.
- Reconciles asset management sub-module and accounts for asset additions and disposals
- Reviews account ownership; trial balances reconciliations for each sub-module.
- Performs the duties of the Controller in his or her absence.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
- Knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) guidelines.
- Knowledge of university purchasing policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of grant management principles.
- Knowledge of budget management principles.
- Knowledge of computers and job-related software programs.
- Skill in organization and project management.
- Skill in the supervision of personnel.
- Skill in decision making and problem solving.
- Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
- Skill in oral and written communication.
The Controller assigns work in terms of department goals and objectives. The supervisor reviews work through conferences, reports, and observation of department activities.
Guidelines include Board of Regents policies and procedures, university policies and procedures, information technology security principles, grant policies and procedures, GAAP and GASB standards, and other federal and state regulations. These guidelines require judgment, selection and interpretation in application. This position develops department guidelines.
COMPLEXITY/SCOPE OF WORK
- The work consists of varied duties in directing the university's accounting service functions. Strict regulations and the need for accuracy contribute to the complexity of the position.
- The purpose of this position is to direct the accounting service functions of Fort Valley State University. Success in this position contributes to the success of all university operations.
- Contacts are typically with co-workers, other university personnel, representatives of the Board of Regents, bankers, and members of the general public.
- Contacts are typically to give or exchange information; to resolve problems; to motivate persons; or to justify, defend or settle matters.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/ WORK ENVIRONMENT
- The work is typically performed while sitting at a desk or table.
- The work is typically performed in an office.
SUPERVISORY AND MANAGEMENT RESPONSIBILITY
This position has direct supervision over Accounting Coordinator (1) and Grants and Contracts Coordinator (1).
- Master's degree in a course of study related to the occupational field required or similar undergraduate degree with a CPA.
- More than three years of related experience required.
- Ability to pass a background check, including consumer credit check.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.