Vice President for Enrollment Management
Portland State University
Vice President for Enrollment Management
Portland State University (PSU) invites applications and nominations for the Vice President for Enrollment Management position. As the chief enrollment officer, the vice president for enrollment management provides leadership and coordination for a comprehensive enrollment management strategy that is consistent with the goals, mission, and resources of the University.
Portland State University President Rahmat Shoureshi has put forward ambitious goals for Enrollment growth that include traditional and non-traditional student populations and modes of delivery. The VPEM will play a key leadership role in developing and executing strategies to achieve these goals.
The vice president is responsible for meeting targeted enrollment goals; developing and implementing strategic enrollment plans; developing innovative and targeted recruitment initiatives; and effectively leveraging institutional scholarships. The vice president reports to the president and collaborates closely with the provost, academic deans, vice president for research & graduate studies, and other campus leaders to set and achieve enrollment, retention and graduation projections and to determine short and long term targets for both tuition revenue and headcounts. The VPEM also collaborates with the Dean of Graduate Studies and academic deans on enrollment strategies and recruitment for graduate programs. The VPEM oversees a staff of 50 and is responsible for new student orientation and commencement.
Located in the heart of one of the nation’s most livable cities, Portland State University is the most diverse four-year academic institution in Oregon. PSU enrolls approximately 28,000 students from every state in the nation and more than 80 countries in 88 bachelors, 88 masters, and 37 doctoral programs. Founded in 1946, PSU is hailed by The Princeton Review as one of the best colleges and universities in the West. Additionally, U.S. News & World Report ranks PSU as one of the nation’s most innovative universities. PSU is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NCCU), and all relevant programs are accredited by professional bodies. PSU encompasses eight primary divisions: the College of the Arts; College of Liberal Arts & Sciences; College of Urban & Public Affairs; College of Education; Maseeh College of Engineering and Computer Science; School of Business; School of Social Work; and OHSU-PSU School of Public Health; as well as the University Library, University Honors College, and Department of University Studies. Portland State University has an innovative approach to education that combines academic rigor in the classroom with field-based experiences through internships and classroom projects with community partners. PSU’s widely-recognized University Studies Program provides small class sizes and peer mentoring for all first-year students and culminates in Senior Capstones, which take students out of the classroom and into the field, where they utilize their knowledge and skills to develop community projects. PSU has the only urban-focused Honors College in the country, the enrollment of which is expected to grow over the next decade.
The University has taken aggressive steps in recent years to enhance the student experience and campus life, with new student housing and a comprehensive recreation complex and remodeled science and arts facilities. Portland State University also has bolstered academic and career advising and orientation programs and created new programs to support student success. Sustainability is a central part of Portland State University’s vision, which recognizes the interconnectedness of environmental, economic and social systems. PSU's motto, "Let Knowledge Serve the City," inspires the teaching and research of an accomplished faculty whose work and students span the globe. A Carnegie Doctoral Research University (High Intensity), PSU has grown its sponsored research in recent years, with about $65 million in research expenditures in 2018. A vibrant campus spanning 50 buildings in downtown Portland and an economic impact of $1.4 billion makes PSU an integral part of the Portland metro area.
- A master's degree is required; PhD degree preferred.
- At least ten years of progressively responsible management experience directly related to enrollment management and experience in analyzing and organizing information to produce data-driven decisions is required.
- Demonstrated commitment to understanding and embracing Portland State University’s access mission and commitment to supporting success for underrepresented students.
- Commitment to and demonstrated success in recruiting, enrolling and retaining an academically strong and diverse student population is required.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in developing international, transfer, and adult re-engagement enrollment and recruitment strategies.
- The ideal candidate will have experience in building digital and on-line recruitment strategies.
Demonstrated experience in using technology to implement best practices in enrollment management and to improve student engagement and experiences.
- Ideal candidates will demonstrate abilities to lead transformational enrollment efforts.
- A demonstrated ability to foster collaboration across diverse constituencies is highly desired.
- The ideal candidate will have experience working at a large, complex, urban university, be forward thinking, and able to anticipate and effectively respond to all matters that influence enrollment. Excellent written and verbal communications skills are desired.
- A high degree of understanding of the complex facets of enrollment, including financial aid, remission modeling, recruitment, strategic awarding of scholarships and retention will also be factors considered in the selection of the vice president for enrollment management.
Application and Nomination
Review of candidates will begin March 11, 2019. Priority consideration will be given to those who apply early. Interested candidates should apply for this position online via the Williams & Company website at: www.williamscompany.net. Confidential inquiries and/or nominations may be directed to Martha H. Smiles at: [email protected] or (802) 497-0151.
Please visit Portland State University’s website at www.pdx.edu
Portland State University is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Institution and welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity