Adjunct Faculty, Transitional Learning Instructor
Whatcom Community College is currently looking for an evening ABE Math instructor for Spring quarter 2019 and, in addition, invites applications for part-time adjunct faculty pool positions to teach Transitional Learning classes including Adult Basic Education (ABE), High School Completion (HSC) and Integrated Basic Education and Skills Training (IBEST). The College is seeking a dynamic individual interested in developing and engaging students through the use and implementation of innovative and inclusive curriculum and teaching methods, including the application of technology, both inside and outside the classroom. The College seeks faculty who have the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with students, colleagues, staff, and others in a campus climate that promotes cultural diversity and global understanding. Outside of filling our current need, applications will be used to expand the pool of instructors for future positions that may occur. Applications will be kept on file through the 2019-20 academic year.
Being a faculty member at Whatcom offers the opportunity to engage in the advancement of equitable student outcomes and the elimination of equity gaps. Faculty have regular opportunities for on-campus professional development, collaboration with colleagues, and engagement in workshops and learning communities. These opportunities contribute to professional advancement at the College, as well as personal growth. This position supports all four of the College's four core themes – achieving success, building community, advancing equity, and enhancing effectiveness.
Qualifications, Salary and Appointment
- Master's degree in Adult Education, TESOL, Math, English or a closely related field (or equivalent years of related experience).
- Teaching experience using a student-centered approach to teaching and learning.
- Two years of teaching experience in one or more of these settings: adult reading/writing, adult math, high school completion, and/or integrated instruction.
- Experience teaching at a community college.
- Experience teaching multi-level classes.
- Experience collaborating with other instructors and/or team teaching.
- Experience working with instructional aides, tutors, and volunteers.
- Evidence of competence using technologically assisted instruction including CANVAS.
- Evidence of proficiency utilizing multiple instructional strategies to facilitate student achievement such as: Reading Apprenticeship, Flipped Instruction, Contextualized Instruction.
- Experience working collaboratively to meet state or federal reporting requirements.
- Evidence of willingness to participate in continuing professional and program development.
- Evidence of commitment to diverse populations.
- Experience in curriculum development and in assessing learning outcomes.
Salary and Appointment:
- Based on the current adjunct salary schedule.
Application Due Date:
- For guaranteed consideration, application packets should be received by Friday, February 8th, 2019 at 4:59 pm. Position open until filled.
To apply please visit us at: