Part-Time Cook, Pavilion Dining
Part-Time Cook, Pavilion Dining
Posting #: 378
Position Status: Part-time temporary
Location: San Diego
Position Type: Dining Services, Staff
Position Title & Department:Part-Time Cook, Pavilion Dining Posting #
Pavilion Dining is home to an array of unique dining concepts that fuse distinct ingredients and flavors to create delicious menus in an inviting environment. Menus were developed in partnership with the Culinary Institute of America at Greystone. Recipient of a Silver Loyal E. Horton Award presented by NACUFS for excellence in dining.University Description:
The University of San Diego, a contemporary and engaged Roman Catholic institution, was founded by the Diocese of San Diego and the Society of the Sacred Heart in 1949. Governed by an independent board of trustees since 1972, USD remains committed to a liberal arts education grounded in the Catholic intellectual tradition and the pursuit of truth, goodness and beauty. Inspired by this centuries old tradition of Catholic higher education, the University welcomes people of all faith traditions and any, or no, religious background. The future success of USD relies on the contributions of those who seek to foster the development of engaged global citizens and an earnest confrontation of humanity’s urgent challenges.Detailed Description:
This is a part-time, temporary position with an anticipated assignment end date of June 21, 2020.
The Cook is responsible for providing skilled assistance in the supervision and preparation of all food production, maintenance of quality and/or portion control, and the maintenance of sanitation and safety standards. This position receives general supervision from the Unit Leader and/or Manager.
- Supervises and participates in the quality and quantity preparation of all menu items.
- In the absence of the direct supervisor, has complete responsibility for preparation of specified meals.
- Reviews menu with supervisor and coordinates daily production; organizes work areas to ensure ease of operation.
- Checks production sheet against inventory to assure necessary items are on hand; assists in planning for backup items as needed.
- Inspects work area for any problems or discrepancies and reports findings to supervisor.
- Assists in forecasting proper quantity preparation for each item served.
- Follows correct methods of preparation.
- Makes products to specification and reviews recipes with supervisor for variances in finished product, including yield, appearance, taste, texture.
- Ensures proper product portioning.
- Follows sequential production time frames as established by supervisor for maximum quality control.
- Responsible for the timely delivery, setup and dispensing of production items as specified.
- Assists in completion of production/event records.
- Verifies quantity and quality of all incoming products.
- Ensures proper rotation and storage of all products.
- Operates all kitchen equipment properly.
- May assist in determination and ordering of product and supplies.
- Assists in research, development and testing of new recipes and menus.
- Attends weekly production meetings.
- Customer Satisfaction
- Maintains good customer relations through attitude, appearance and attention to detail in daily work.
- Maintains consistent high-quality standards; quality-tests every finished product for taste, texture, appearance and temperature.
- Assures that all foods are attractively garnished and appropriately displayed.
- Ensures that products are not held longer than establishing holding time frames.
- Services customer/guest needs with the appropriate sense of business urgency to provide quality service.
- Reports feedback from customer to supervisor and/or area manager.
- Provides input on menu as necessary, and special meals in weekly production meetings.
- Sets leadership example by willingness to work all job tasks.
- Provides consistent feedback to employees regarding performance.
- Responsible for smooth workflow, communication and ideas through a congenial, caring and supportive attitude.
- Ensures that employees understand and adhere to all Dining Services polices and procedures.
- Delegates assignments as appropriate and follows up to ensure work is accurate and complete.
- Orients all new part-time employees to the location of products and equipment.
- Trains all part-time employees in proper cooking procedures, cooking times and temperatures.
- Trains part-time employees in the proper use of all equipment.
- Safety and Sanitation
- Implements and maintains proper safety and sanitation standards in the workplace.
- Utilizes proper food handling methods and techniques.
- Assists in all scheduled cleanup operations.
- Operates equipment in an energy efficient manner. Uses efficient startup/shutdown schedule for equipment.
- Maintains excellent personal hygiene, including care of uniforms, shoes and head covering.
- In absence of supervisor, responsible for the security of the unit.
- Maintains kitchen cleanliness/sanitation during operation.
- Does not participate in unsafe acts and sets a good example for other workers.
- Reports all accidents and/or injuries to supervisor immediately.
- Reports all equipment maintenance problems to supervisor.
- Knows location of fire extinguishers and Ansul System pull stations and how to use them.
- Knows and follows all University and Dining Services policies and procedures
- Cooks working in Retail areas will need to know how to use the POS system.
- Cooks may have to work as a cashier as needed and therefore know how to handle cash in all retail areas.
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent
- At least 3 years of related experience
- Supervisory experience preferred
- Culinary experience preferred
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Must complete an 8-hour Serv Safe as required by the San Diego Health Department
- Must complete the University’s Hazmat Communication Program
Special Conditions of Employment:
- Must be able to work a varied hourly work schedule including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- May be laid off during slow periods (December/January and May).
- Must be able to work flexible schedule during intersession and summer conference periods.
- Must have excellent personal hygiene because of contact with food and food products.
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes.Posting Salary:
$12.50 per hourSpecial Application Instructions:
Click Apply Now to complete our online application. In addition, please upload a cover letter and resume to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at [email protected]Additional Details:
Hours per week: 19 hours per week
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Advertised: September 15, 2019 Pacific Daylight Time