Chief e-Learning Officer
Job Title: Chief e-Learning Officer
Location: UM System - Columbia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 28810
The University of Missouri System (UM System) serves Missouri as the state's land-grant university and Missouri's only public research and doctoral-level institution. It has a unique mission to advance the opportunities for success and well-being for Missouri, the nation, and the world through transformative teaching, research, innovation, engagement and inclusion.
The UM System consists of system administration and four universities: the University of Missouri-Columbia, the University of Missouri-Kansas City, the Missouri University of Science and Technology, the University of Missouri-St. Louis, and all of their component parts, including MU Health, MU Extension and UM Engagement.
The UM System has an ambitious goal of to enroll 25,000 additional students using e-learning platforms by 2025. To meet the needs of the state of Missouri and beyond the UM System is seeking an experienced, creative and energetic founding Chief of e-Learning Officer.
In this new position, the Chief e-Learning Officer will be responsible for developing, designing, building, and operating a nationally recognized online and digital-learning program serving adults and traditional students with fully-online degree programs and certificates. This highly equipped leader will manage and coordinate the system wide eLearning initiatives and provide strategic planning, vision, mission and direction for the UM System in the area of quality online learning.
With four campuses already reaching thousands of students online each year, the Chief e-Learning Officer will inherit a foundation of assets to build a system-wide platform on. This leader will need to be a collaborative and visionary leader, one energized by the ‘building’ of programs and leveraging great strengths while filling gaps to ensure programmatic success.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop, implement, oversee and operate an innovative and highly successful eLearning platform that will serve all learners in Missouri and the region
- Create a Center for Excellence in online learning to ensure a superior academic and learning experience for students who seek to engage in college entirely online and help UM System to meet their ambitious enrollment goals for such a platform
- Ensure an exceptional student experience through the implementation of learner success coaches, meaningful online learning communities, robust career placement services, and experiental learning
- Utilize analytic methods to facilitate student recruitment and retention in eLearning courses
- Guarantee course and program effectiveness through developing and implementing auditing and quality assurance standards and the appropriate application of artificial intelligence tools
- Expand and align online programs and services initiatives of all four UM universities to guarantee the vision, mission and strategic goals of UM System are met
- Partner with faculty and academic leaders as well as administration of all four universities to plan and launch appealing eLearning programs
- Collaborate effectively with existing external stakeholder, partners and vendors and lead efforts to explore possible alliances with additional leaders in the field of online learning
- Ensure compliance with all state and federal guidelines, regulations and accreditation standards pertaining to online education at all four of the UM universities
- Compile, manage and maintain all program and student data associated with eLearning programs and initiatives
- Oversee budget development and implementation
- Identify and evaluate national trends and communicate best practice and emerging technologies in online learning to create a culture of innovation and excellence
- Doctorate degree preferred and Master’s degree required
- Progressive senior leadership experience developing and administering online learning initiatives in a higher education setting
- Advanced understanding of public higher education issues, of the current and emerging trends in online education as well as best practice learning theories and techniques
- Comprehensive knowledge of online instructional design and teaching with technology
- Demonstrated ability to build up new successful online programs or further expand existing programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively with students, faculty, university administration, external agencies, and staff
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, faculty, public groups, and governing boards
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with strategic planning, strong conceptual, analytical and critical thinking skills as well as problem solving skills
- Hands on mentality with the ability to build up and effectively lead a team
- Ability to work effectively in a diverse and inclusive environment with students, faculty, staff, and leaders
Salary commensurate with education and experience.
Please complete the brief online application and submit a resume or C.V. and a cover letter for consideration.
Recruitment efforts are being coordinated by the Executive Recruitment Team in UM System Human Resources. Please contact Tim McIntosh, Director of Recruitment ([email protected], 573-884-8107) or Anna Wiedermann, HR Consultant ([email protected], 573-882-8677) with any questions about the position.Benefit Eligibility
This position is eligible for University benefits. The University offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental and vision plans, retirement, paid time off, and educational fee discounts. For additional information on University benefits, please visit the Faculty & Staff Benefits website at http://www.umsystem.edu/totalrewards/benefits
The University of Missouri is fully committed to achieving the goal of a diverse and inclusive academic community of faculty, staff and students. We seek individuals who are committed to this goal and our core campus values of respect, responsibility, discovery and excellence.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Equal Opportunity is and shall be provided for all employees and applicants for employment on the basis of their demonstrated ability and competence without unlawful discrimination on the basis of their race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable state or federal law. This policy shall not be interpreted in such a manner as to violate the legal rights of religious organizations or the recruiting rights of military organizations associated with the Armed Forces or the Department of Homeland Security of the United States of America. For more information, call the Vice Chancellor of Human Resource Services/Affirmative Action officer at 573-882-4256.
To request ADA accommodations, please call the Disability Inclusion and ADA Compliance Manager at 573-884-7278.
EEO IS THE LAW
To read more about Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) please use the following links: