Research Associate 2, SOM
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-07-17
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities (For Non-exempt Employees Include Percent of Effort):
- The Research Associate is the entry-level research professional position. Appointees will support research activities at the University.
- The Research Associate will understand and interpret research protocols and procedures. The Research Associate will work under the direction of a principal investigator, program director or designee of the principal investigator or program director, such as a Sr. Research Associate or above.
- Appointees are expected to use some creativity and latitude in performing research tasks.
- Promotion to higher levels is not automatic as a result of longevity in position. Rather, promotion requires increased duties and responsibilities, a recommendation by the appointing department, and approval by the appropriate Human Resources Office.
- Appointees will contribute to basic and applied research activities, participate in the publication of significant results, and advance their expertise through education, training and/or research experience.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The candidate is required to function as a lab manager maintaining the efficient running of the lab. She is required to order and maintain lab accounts for all lab related purchases. She is required to maintain and help with animal orders and update IACUC related acitvities. Basic lab skills such as western blot, genotyping, PCR and cell culture additional skill sets that is required of the Research Associate at level 2.Education Requirements (Essential Requirements):
- Bachelor’s degree.
- At least two (2) years of relevant work related experience.
UHealth-University of Miami Health System, South Florida's only university-based health system, provides leading-edge patient care powered by the ground breaking research and medical education at the Miller School of Medicine. As an academic medical center, we are proud to serve South Florida, Latin America and the Caribbean. Our physicians represent more than 100 specialties and sub-specialties, and have more than one million patient encounters each year. Our tradition of excellence has earned worldwide recognition for outstanding teaching, research and patient care. We're the challenge you've been looking for.
Patient safety is a top priority. As a result, during the Influenza ("the flu") season (September through April), the University of Miami School of Medicine requires all employees who provide ongoing services to patients, work in a location (all Hospitals and clinics) where patient care is provided, or work in patient care or clinical care areas, to have an annual influenza vaccination. Failure to meet this requirement will result in rescinding or termination of employment.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:r4