Instructional Designer - University College
1/2/2019Instructional Designer - University College Tracking Code004314 Job Description
The University of Denver has the distinction of being the oldest independent university in the Rocky Mountain region, giving it a tradition of 150 years of academic excellence. The University of Denver's college of professional and continuing studies, University College, is a leader in adult education, providing fully accredited and affordable educational experiences specifically designed for busy adults.
University College is accepting applications for an Instructional Designer. The Instructional Designer position engages in instructional design to support on-campus and online courses to ensure the quality of the educational experience for students of University College. This position is one member of a team responsible for course design and review. Specifically, this position is responsible for engaging in course development and project management using University Colleges instructional design processes and templates to ensure that appropriate principles and best practices are incorporated into course designs. This position is also responsible for overseeing the creation of course containers in the University College learning management system (LMS), Canvas. Additionally, this position will be responsible for researching, integrating, and/or setting up instructional technologies in University College course designs and build-outs, as well as collaborating closely with other team members on vetting and training faculty and staff on said tools. This position may engage in duties related to ongoing course tracking and review to ensure University College courses are relevant and up-to-date in terms of both structure and content.
- Works with academic directors, other instructional designer, and subject matter experts using instructional design best practices to design, develop, and/or manage course development projects for University College programs.
- Responsible for ensuring alignment among course content and learning objectives at the course, program, and College levels Researches, integrates, and/or sets up instructional technologies for incorporation into course design Ensures clear and streamlined building of designed courses in Canvas course containers.
- Engages in duties related to project management of course designs, and course quality tracking and review.
- Offers support for questions regarding the LMS platform and other educational tools and classroom-enhancing technologies from staff, and collaborates closely with UCOL Instructional Support Specialists to ensure similar support for faculty.
- Creates and delivers trainings for faculty and staff related to instructional design, technology-related tools, and other course design resources.
- Engages in positive, productive, professional and interpersonal relations within University College and the University of Denver, e.g., meetings, task forces, focus groups, etc., including strategy formulation, problem solving, and future planning and direction for University College.
- Engages in trainings, presentations, and conferences as a representative of University College.
- Other duties as assigned including but not limited to: using database and survey software for tracking and feedback purposes, attending meetings and activities within DU; and engaging with professional organizations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent organization skills and strong attention to detail to meet project expectations and parameters.
- Excellent project management skills, especially related to working in a team environment.
- Ability to develop solutions for complex problems in order to improve processes.
- Strong desire to learn and develop new competencies as needed.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities while adhering to deadlines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively, including in cross-functional teams, to complete projects.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience applying instructional design principles and best practices to course development projects.
- Experience with online/distance teaching environments.
- Experience working with an LMS.
- Experience analyzing existing educational or training materials for rigor and quality.
- Experience reviewing, curating, and/or creating course-design-relevant resources to support instructional design and technology projects.
- Master's degree.
- 2-3 years of experience applying instructional design principles and best practices to course development projects.
- Experience working in a support, consulting or advising capacity in which it was necessary to coach others toward quality outcomes and deadlines.
- Experience building course containers in an LMS Experience researching, integrating, and/or setting up instructional technologies in a course or training environment based on learner needs.
- Knowledge of and experience with higher education in general and adult learners in particular.
- Teaching or training experience in a formal setting, such as, but not limited to, an academic institution, corporate training environment, or non-profit environment.
- Experience working directly with subject matter experts on course design.
- Experience with Kaltura, Zoom, and/or the Canvas LMS.
- Quality Matters Certification.
- Experience with course development using Universal Design for learning principles.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. Some evenings and weekends required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Tuesday, January 15, 2019.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
To receive full consideration for the position, please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.DepartmentUCOL Administration (222050)Position TypeFull-Time/Regular