Anatomy and Physiology and Human Biology Adjunct Professor
Adjunct faculty salary for the 2019-2020 fiscal year is $885.00 per credit hour.
South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC) seeks adjunct or part-time faculty members in Anatomy and Physiology and Human Biology who will:
- Place student success at the center of all decision-making,
- Engage with students, faculty, staff and administrators to create a community of learners,
- Seek opportunities for teaching and learning excellence,
- Embrace change, risk-taking and innovation,
- Respect the richness of diverse cultural values, beliefs and practices of others, and
- Contribute to the technical and general education of students who will apply learning to the world of work and transfer their education to a university.
South Puget Sound Community College is committed to increasing its cultural diversity with an emphasis on equity and inclusion among its professional staff. The students that we serve come from a variety of backgrounds. On average, 43% of SPSCC students are people of color. We strongly encourage members of the underrepresented groups, veterans, and bi- or multi-lingual individuals to apply for this position to help meet the needs of our diverse students and service district.
And if that isn't enough? We also offer:
- The Clipper Café grill specializing in seasonal comfort foods
- The Bake Shop offering daily baked goods made by our students
- Fine dining in the Percival Room, offering vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free choices as part of our Culinary Arts and Baking & Pastry Arts programs
- Campus bookstore offering snacks, apparel, and specialty supplies
- Starbucks coffee shop
- Bus service every 15 minutes to downtown Olympia and beyond – you receive a FREE State Agency Rider (STAR) Pass
- FREE parking on campus – permits are not required
- On-campus child care
- Percival Creek, which runs beneath our campus footbridge, provides year-round beauty and views of Chinook, Coho, and chum salmon pass through each fall
- Many walking paths that are marked and on nicely paved sidewalks
- Gym and recreation facilities
- SPSCC promotes wellness with a variety of different workshops and events on campus
- Lots of activities with our Arts and Entertainment series, which are usually free for staff and faculty
- Many community events in the Kenneth J. Minnaert Center for the Arts
SPSCC accepts applications for adjunct faculty (part-time) positions on an ongoing basis to establish a qualified pool of applicants. This pool is created for future part-time professor appointments to the individual program or course indicated. This announcement will serve as an open and continuous applicant pool. Appointment availability varies from quarter to quarter.
Candidates selected from the pool will be contacted by the division should a vacancy arise.
What You'll Do
Faculty members will work with other faculty, staff, and administrators to:
- Create and facilitate contextualized and integrated learning experiences in Anatomy and Physiology and Human Biology in relation to identified college pathways that are linked to career goals.
- Create authentic assessments of students' knowledge, skills, and abilities in Anatomy and Physiology and Human Biology that measure course, program, and college wide outcomes.
- Apply multiple teaching and learning strategies that promote the affective, cognitive and kinesthetic domains of learning
- Support students in and out of the classroom, which includes directing them to campus services and resource
- Be available to teach classes on a variety of days and times
Course Descriptions:BIOL& 241 Human Anatomy and Physiology I with lab
BIOL& 242 Human Anatomy and Physiology II with lab
BIOL& 175 Human Biology with labQualifications You Possess
- Master's degree in Biology or a related area from an accredited college or university, and
- Experience with laboratory instruction.
- Experience with learning management systems and on-line teaching.
Applications must include the following attachments:
- Cover letter addressed to the Screening Committee highlighting your ability to perform the responsibilities and competencies described in the job posting.
- Current Resume showing all educational and professional experience which demonstrates how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications.
- Copies of unofficial transcripts from institutions of higher education.
Condition of Employment
Employment with the college is contingent upon the successful completion of a comprehensive background check. Any adverse information will be considered on a case-by-case basis and does not automatically preclude a candidate from employment.
This position has been designated as a bargaining unit position represented by the South Puget Sound Federation of Teachers, AFT/AFL-CIO, Local 4603.
SPSCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC) is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientations, and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons over age 40, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. The college complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Applicants needing accommodation in the application process in an alternative format may contact the Human Resource Office at (360) 596-5500. The college is committed to enhancing the diversity of our faculty and staff, as well as our student population. We strongly encourage applicants to apply without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legal protected status. SPSCC is a drug-free workplace.