028-19 INTERNAL AUDITOR
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
The University of Guam seeks an executive who is interested in new challenges and opportunities for professional and personal growth and who is interested in working in a dynamic, multi-cultural institution of higher education in the Pacific.
The University of Guam (UOG) Internal Auditor reports directly to the Vice President Administration and Finance (VPAF) and is responsible for the development of the University’s internal audit capabilities and management of internal audit processes. The Internal Auditor will develop processes for grants management, reporting, audits, and compliance requirements. A significant component of the position is the assurance of the University’s compliance with grant terms.
CHARACTER OF DUTIES:
Primary duties and responsibilities shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- Establish and maintain policies and procedures for the audit activity and ensure compliance with standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing as set forth by the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA);
- Recommend improvements to management controls to safeguard University assets;
- Conduct performance audits of activities of the University;
- Conduct compliance audits and reviews of federal grant programs within the University;
- Communicate results of audit projects/investigations and communicate results to the VPAF, the President, the Administrative Council (as needed), the Budget, Finance, Investment, and Audit (BFIA) committee of the University Board of Regents, and other appropriate parties;
- Develop an annual audit schedule based on risk assessments performed with input from the University Comptroller;
- Develop and implement a comprehensive, practical program of audit coverage for the University to be implemented over time;
- Ensure the University complies with the terms of its grants;
- Assist and advise university management and staff regarding financial and accounting matters, proper policies and procedures, internal controls, and risk mitigation techniques; perform assessments of the numerous risks facing the university;
- Work cooperatively with external auditors performing risk assessments of the University;
- Prepare an annual budget for Internal Audit;
- Conduct special studies as assigned by VPAF; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Business, Management, Finance, Accounting, or a related field from a U.S. accredited institution or foreign equivalent, including or supplemented by twenty-four (24) semester hours of accounting/auditing courses; Seven (7) years of experience in the policies, laws and practices of internal auditing; Knowledge of internal auditing standards and techniques, accounting principles, and state and federal regulations; Experience with federal grant compliance; Experience working in a culturally diverse population is a plus; Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing (writing samples required); And ability to interact will all levels of employees, management, and faculty.
Preferred: Master's degree in Business, Management, Finance, Accounting, or a related field from a U.S. accredited institution or foreign equivalent, including or supplemented by twenty-four (24) semester hours of accounting/auditing courses; Certification as an Internal Auditor or Public Accountant or Government Financial Officer.
Applicants for University of Guam administrator positions must complete an online job application through the UOG online employment portal at https://uog.peopleadmin.com. Please have the following documents prepared and ready to upload with your application:
(1) Letter of application that describes candidate’s qualifications
(2) Curriculum vitae
(3) Copies of all graduate and undergraduate transcripts
(4) Certification as an Internal Auditor or Public Accountant
(5) Writing Samples
Special Instructions for References: Three (3) current letters of recommendation from persons knowledgeable about your academic and professional performance must be provided by providing a list of at least three (3) references to be contacted on the References section of the online application. Enter each reference by clicking on the “Add References Entry” button. Provide the name, title, email address, mailing address, and telephone number of each reference. A system automated email will be sent to each reference’s email address with a link to attach their reference letter to your application.
Selected candidate must provide official transcripts prior to hire date. For further information, please contact Mr. Randall V. Wiegand, Search Committee Chair, [email protected] or the Human Resources Office at [email protected], telephone number, (671) 735-2350 or fax number at (671) 734-6005.
Police and Court Clearance: Pursuant to Public Law No. 28-24 and Executive Order 2005-34, applicants selected for a position are required to provide original police and court (Superior Court of Guam) clearances of no more than three (3) months old prior to commencement of employment. Off-island applicants must obtain clearances from their place of residence. Applicants are responsible for fees associated with obtaining the clearances.