Emeritus Institute Health Instructor
Emeritus Institute Health Instructor
Full Time, Tenure Track
Job Close Date: 04/08/2019
For this position, employees must have at least one of the following:
1. Bachelor’s degree with a major in health science, health education, physical education, kinesiology, exercise science, dietetics and nutrition, or the equivalent, and either:
(A) Thirty hours or two semester units of course work or class work in understanding the needs of the older adult taken at an accredited institution of higher education or approved by the district.
This requirement may be completed concurrently during the first year of employment as a noncredit instructor; or (B) One year of professional experience working with older adults
2. Associate degree with a major in health science, health education, physical education, kinesiology, exercise science, dietetics and nutrition, or the equivalent; and two years of occupational experience related to the subject of the course taught; and sixty hours or four semester units of coursework or classwork in understanding the needs of the older adult, taken at an accredited institution of higher education or approved by the district.
This last requirement may be completed concurrently during the first year of employment as a noncredit instructor.
• A minimum of two (2) years of recent and successful experience teaching lecture/lab health education or exercise science at the post-secondary level.
• Professional certification in one or more specialties including: aerobics, balance and mobility, Pilates, Tai Chi, Yoga, or the equivalent.
• Knowledge and ability to offer and support multiple modes of instruction including in-person, hybrid, and online courses.
• Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and patiently with students and staff, both orally and in-writing.
• Demonstrated technological competence utilizing computer and online software to complete administrative and teaching requirements.
• Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
Preference will be given to those candidates demonstrating a high level of professional expertise on the basis of:
• Master’s degree, doctorate preferred, in health science, health education, physical education, kinesiology, exercise science, dietetics and nutrition, or the equivalent, along with sixty hours or four semester units of college/university class work in understanding the needs of the older adult taken at an accredited institution of higher education; and/or three years of full-time (or the equivalent through part-time faculty assignments) of professional teaching experience within a non-credit, lifelong learning academic department primarily working with older adults at an institution of higher education.
• Bachelor’s in any of the above;
• Master’s in health sciences or exercise sciences OR the equivalent.
Summary of Duties and Responsibilities:
The Saddleback College Emeritus Institute within the Division of Community Education, Emeritus Institute, K-12 Partnerships, and Adult Education serves the older adult population of south Orange County.
The normal workload for this full-time faculty position shall be thirty (30) LHE per year, normally assigned as fifteen (15) LHE per semester. Teach lecture/lab split courses in the core subjects of Health, Consumer Health, and Gerontology. Lab portions of health courses include emphases in one or more of the following areas: aerobics, aquatic fitness, balance and mobility, brain health, chair exercise, Pilates, sequential stretching, tai chi, and yoga. Assignments will include day and evening courses. Teaching assignments will primarily be off-campus, throughout south Orange County at various teaching sites with required travel between sites. Faculty member will participate in general faculty functions related to the educational program, committee assignments, in-service programs, and other contractual duties as assigned. Position will include probable service as Department Chair as assigned by the division administrator.
Please visit the District’s Employment Opportunities website at https://jobs.socccd.edu for a detailed job description, to learn more about the District and to complete an on-line application.
NOTICE TO ALL CANDIDATES FOR EMPLOYMENT: The Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, Public Law 99-603, requires that employers obtain documentation from every new employee which authorizes that individual to accept employment in this country.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER