Associate Legal Advisor -Office of General Counsel
Associate Legal Advisor -Office of General Counsel Job Number AD0000100710 Posting Date January 16, 2019 About the Position Position Summary
UAE Nationals are encouraged to apply
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint an Associate Legal Advisor, reporting to the Chief Legal Counsel for NYUAD.
The Associate Legal Advisor will work with a small legal team and support the Chief Counsel and Associate General Counsel to provide sound legal advice, based on legal and practical considerations, to University leadership in all areas of the University’s operations and activities in Abu Dhabi.
The individual will be accountable for day-to-day legal responsibilities and providing legal advice that includes all the aspects of the analysis, investigation and drafting process. They will also be responsible for providing support in discrete legal issues by advising the organization, drafting documents and structuring remedies.Key Responsibilities
- Advise on various aspects of local UAE law, such as contract, business, IP, employment and other regulations in the UAE
- Be available and respond to all internal departments and to draft, negotiate and address Procurement, IT, Corporate, HR and other related contracts, correspondence or other documents with internal and external partners
- Develop and maintain templates that are responsive to business needs and comply with internal policies
- Research, develop and update legal memos on key areas of interest to NYUAD
- Work with external counsel on key projects
- Track regulatory developments as they impact NYUAD’s research, academic operations and other activities in the UAE, particularly with respect to key government authorities
- Be aware of and address relevant aspects of US law as they impact NYUAD in the UAE
- Bachelor's degree in law
- Qualified attorney, with at least 5 years PQE experience in private practice and/or in an in-house team
- Experience with contract, commercial, research, IP, IT, data protection, collaborations, and higher education
- Experience with UAE and MENA laws
- Fluency in English
- Strong drafting skills
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Creativity, anticipation and ability to work independently and coordinate efficiently within a small team
- Knowledge of civil, criminal and administrative procedure in the UAE
- Knowledge of spoken and written Arabic
NYU Abu Dhabi is a degree-granting research university with a fully integrated liberal arts and science undergraduate program in the Arts, Sciences, Social Sciences, Humanities, and Engineering. NYU Abu Dhabi, NYU New York, and NYU Shanghai, form the backbone of NYU’s global network university, an interconnected network of portal campuses and academic centers across six continents that enable seamless international mobility of students and faculty in their pursuit of academic and scholarly activity. This global university represents a transformative shift in higher education, one in which the intellectual and creative endeavors of academia are shaped and examined through an international and multicultural perspective. As a major intellectual hub at the crossroads of the Arab world, NYUAD serves as a center for scholarly thought, advanced research, knowledge creation, and sharing, through its academic, research, and creative activities.