Director, Membership Development & Customer Service (MACS)
The American Library Association (ALA) seeks an innovative, customer-focused individual to lead its Membership Development and Customer Service unit. The successful candidate will be responsible for the overall development, implementation, and measurement of the association’s membership strategic initiatives, while overseeing the activities of its fast-paced customer service center that supports the organization’s 58,000 plus members.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Develop and implement a multi-year ALA membership acquisition and retention plan that will generate $5.4 million in ALA membership dues revenue and $75,000 in non-dues revenues.
- Provide membership expertise and consulting to divisions and round tables in the development of an integrated membership strategy and supporting member value proposition – to help them reach their membership and revenue goals.
- Identify division commonalities of uses to build a more streamlined and consistent member experience. Ensure necessary MACS training is done before launch of a new technology. Work with ITTS, MACS, divisions, other stakeholders to minimize system customization.
- Direct and oversee the ALA strategy that defines ALA’s brand / value proposition participation in booth / lounge / exhibits at select conferences. Build member relations in a relaxed atmosphere.
- Lead membership and customer service staff members in providing core service competencies, and excellent / welcoming delivery of services and information.
- Work collaboratively with Conference Services to promote ALA and division conferences, to promote ALA and division/Round Table membership and present ALA as a welcoming organization that serves as a “home” and a source of connections for library workers, those that support libraries, and other information professionals. Direct the Ambassador’s program. Direct the Virtual Membership Meeting.
- Consult on major membership-related technology projects and initiatives Influence and collaborate on technology initiatives to convey ALA’s vision to its members and stakeholders.
- There is approximately 15% travel.
The Director Membership Development and Customer Service position is based in Chicago, Illinois. The selected candidate will need to live in the area. A relocation package will be provided.
Salary: Negotiable from $95,000, based on relevant experience and qualifications. ALA offers a comprehensive and valuable benefits program, plus generous paid vacation and a retirement annuity.
Closing Date: March 8, 2019 or until position is filled.
In addition to sending your resume, you must include a cover letter outlining the strategic value that you will bring to ALA, drawing upon your successes in the association membership development field. Please also include with your cover letter and resume your salary expectations.
(Additional documents are uploaded on the same screen as the resume on the ALA Job Board)
Send a cover letter, resume and salary expectations to:
American Library Association
Human Resources Department
Associate Executive Director, HR
50 E. Huron Street
Chicago, IL 60611
The American Library Association is an equal opportunity employer: Disability/Veteran
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree is required. An advanced degree is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of strategic planning, dues and non-dues revenue development, membership development, marketing and branding in a non-profit environment.
- Association managerial experience of more than of 10 years, including strategic planning, membership development, marketing, branding, and customer/member service
- Demonstrated success in forecasting and managing a multi-million-dollar budget and in effectively managing associated expense budgets.
- Demonstrated success in marketing membership through multiple channels to diverse audiences.
- Minimum 5 years supervising and developing staff – This position has 3 direct reports and a total staff of 9.
- Advanced knowledge of Association Management Systems (ASM) such as iMIS, ensuring system capabilities are fully utilized to provide an excellent customer/member experience and support membership development, registration, and subscription initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in database analysis, management, and quality control; proven data mining skills.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication skills and interpersonal relations successfully implementing cross-functional projects, programs and initiatives via consensus building.
- Extensive knowledge of and leadership experience in directing membership processing, subscription processing and registration processing in an association environment.
- Demonstrated success in project management.
- Demonstrated success in working with diverse member groups to anticipate and identify member needs.
- Strong staff development experience and skills, including the ability to help increase the effectiveness of cross-functional collaborators.
- Ability to effectively manage time despite multiple competing deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively within a complex organization
- Ability to collaborate effectively with members and staff with diverse perspectives (strong interpersonal skills)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence at various levels
- Business acumen
- Strategic, innovative, creative, future-oriented thinker
- Strong organizational skills