Academic Advisor and Transfer Specialist, College of Science and Mathematics
Posting Date January 14, 2019 Position Title Academic Advisor and Transfer Specialist, College of Science and Mathematics Vacancy # V-1578 Department College of Science and Mathematics Division Academic Affairs Job Description
Reporting to the Director of Academic Advising in the College of Science and Mathematics Student Success Center (CSAM-SSC), the Academic Advisor and Transfer Specialist advises a caseload of Science and Mathematics major students. As an academic advisor, this individual is part of a centralized professional advising team that develops, coordinates, implements, and assesses a variety of activities designed to assist Science and Mathematics undergraduate students in their transition to University life, to ensure that they enroll in appropriate courses, to help them find appropriate department/faculty advising and resources in their major program, and to stay on track to timely degree completion. As a transfer specialist, this individual will develop and/or support transfer initiatives at the University, College, and Department levels and create programs for CSAM major transfer students.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Supports the execution of a comprehensive and holistic academic central advising program that addresses the needs and promotes academic success of CSAM students.
· Collaborates with CSAM Departments to develop and support transfer initiatives.
· Provides academic advising to CSAM students, including course selection, developmental advising about personal, career, and major choices, intrusive advising for at-risk students, and academic coaching.
· Maintains a caseload of undergraduate advisees from their admission into or declaration of a CSAM major.
· Maintains currency in the theory and practice of Academic Advising.
· Collaborates with Admissions, Student Academic Services, and the CSAM academic Departments to facilitate the onboarding of new First-Year and Transfer students.
· Collaborates with University College and the CSAM Departments to facilitate the transition of University College students into major science and mathematics programs.
· Assists with development and delivery of new student orientation and family orientation programs.
· Helps CSAM students understand and successfully negotiate University processes, procedures, policies, and regulations.
· Collaborates with CSAM Departments on University wide retention initiatives.
· Collaborates with CSAM Departments on University wide advising initiatives and to ensure the consistency and quality of advising across the University
· Creates an environment of support for CSAM transfer students through advisement, workshops, and activities.
· Plans and coordinates a “Welcome Week” for CSAM transfer students.
· Tracks progress towards graduation of CSAM transfer students.
· Maintains currency in the University policies and procedures that impact transfer students.
· Acts as the liaison with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions and the Graduate School to communicate requirements and updates for transfer students.
· Assists in the selection, training, and evaluation of CSAM Ambassadors and Peer Mentors.
· Represents the CSAM-SSC at University events and on committees as appropriate.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
· Master’s Degree.
· Two year’s full-time professional experience working in higher education.
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills.
· Excellent interpersonal skills.
· Facility with enterprise applications and software.
· Ability to thrive in fast-paced, diverse, working environment.
· Familiarity with and experience of working on transfer student success initiatives.
· Familiarity and experience with STEM academic programs.
· Experience with programming transfer student initiatives.
· Facility with Banner, DegreeWorks, Starfish, and other applications related to student academic records and student support services.
· Familiarity with current understanding of core concepts, values, and competencies of Academic Advising.
Commensurate with ExperienceSend cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).
Apply here Apply By Review begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled.