Teacher Assistant (2 openings)
Posting Date January 15, 2019 Position Title Teacher Assistant (2 openings) Vacancy # VC-416 and VC-1593 Department Ben Samuels Children's Center Division Academic Affairs Job Description
Under the direct supervision of the classroom teacher, the teaching assistant will be a member of the teaching team and will share in the development and implementation of a developmentally appropriate educational program promoting social, emotional, physical and cognitive growth and development of the children served.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Function as a member of a trans-disciplinary teaching team; share ideas and information with colleagues; participate in the University community of learners.
- Contribute to the planning, organization and implementation of lesson plans that stimulate children's growth and development; assist in the provision of opportunities for children to experience, play and learn in a warm, safe, nurturing environment.
- Contribute to the creation of a community in the classroom that is nurturing, caring, safe and conducive to learning for all members.
- Assist in the provision of physical care for children: helps to prepare meals; helps to feed children; helps in washing hands and faces; changes diapers; assists in toileting; assists in teaching self-help skills.
- May be required to engage in lifting children who are non-ambulant, semi-ambulant and/or have physical needs.
- Assist in maintaining classroom and playgrounds in a neat, clean, safe, attractive manner; examine environment for any potential hazards; maintain proper condition of materials and equipment in classroom; maintain inventories of materials and complete materials requests.
- Advise, instruct, supervise and mentor student staff and volunteers assigned to the room; model appropriate professional behavior.
- Contribute to the maintenance of charts, checklists, anecdotal records on children which will be used in the development of plans to meet children’s individual and collective needs.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with families; maintain open, positive, respectful lines of communication with families about their children and the Center.
- Attend meetings, workshops, or courses to maintain compliance with NJ in-service requirement.
- Identify for the teacher any child whose behavior and physical condition appears to differ from the norms.
- Report any instances of suspected child abuse to DCPP, classroom Teacher and Center Director.
- Maintain valid Infant/Child CPR and First Aid Certification.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Management retains the right to add or change job duties at any time.
NOTE: Since this is an entrance level position, there are no formal education and/or experience requirements.
NOTE: Appointees must be able to physically lift, move, and position clients as needed.
- Associate’s degree in Early Childhood Education, Early Child Development or related field.
- Valid New Jersey Teaching Certification for Pre-School – Grade 3.
- Three (3) years of work experience with toddlers and/or preschoolers in a child care setting as a teacher assistant/aide.
- Ability to engage with children during outside classroom activities and playgrounds.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Salary Range A11: $34,510.37-$48,160.94
*NOTE: Salaries for internal candidates are determined by the New Jersey Civil Service Commission's formula. Salaries for external candidates are determined up to no more than $39,060.56.
(include vacancy # if above)
*When creating your profile, you will need to combine your resume and cover letter into one single document (PDF or MS Word).*