Director of the Office of Analytics, Planning, and Effectiveness
Department:: Provost's Office
Locations:: Oakland, CA
Posted:: Jan 17, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Mills College:
Located in Oakland, California, in the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area, Mills College is a liberal arts college for women and gender non-binary students, with graduate programs for all genders. Consistently ranked one of the top master's universities and one of the best value colleges in the West by U.S. News & World Report, Mills also has been named one of the Best Colleges in the nation by The Princeton Review. The Mills experience is distinguished by small, interactive classes, one-on-one attention from exceptional faculty, a culture of creative experimentation, and cutting-edge interdisciplinary learning opportunities which empower students to make a statement in their careers and communities. As one of the most diverse liberal arts colleges in the country, we have a strong record of academic success with first-generation students, students of color, Latinx students, LGBTQ students, and other underrepresented students. Mills College has recently become a Hispanic Serving Institution. Applicants with expertise and experience in supporting and promoting success for Latina/o students are encouraged to apply.
Mills College encourages diversity in hiring and particularly welcomes applications and nominations from women, gender non-binary individuals, and minorities. Mills College seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice and our desire to maintain the excellence of our faculty. In so doing, we offer our students not only the opportunity to learn about varied disciplines but to engage with diverse perspectives and ways of knowing and learning. For more information, please visit www.mills.edu.
The Director of the Office of Analytics, Planning, and Effectiveness is responsible for the Mills College data system and for the collection, analysis, stewardship, and communication of data to support strategic planning and decision-making. The Director deploys data visualization and predictive analytics to support student success, learning outcomes assessment, fiscal management, enrollment management, and advancement functions at the College. Working closely with College Officers and with academic leaders, the Director works to elevate the data story of Mills, and to enable responsive, data-informed decision-making at every level of the College. The work of the IRE office is critical to Mills efforts to advance gender and racial justice and educational equity, and the Director leads dialogs with campus constituents regarding equity-related data and associated action-planning.
Job Responsibilities include:
Leading and Partnering
- Working with Mills data consumers and generators, connect exploration of data to the student experience and success including learning outcomes, graduation and postgraduate placement;
- Partner and consult with Offices and Divisions such as Finance, Institutional Advancement, Alumnae Relations, Enrollment Management, Student Life, Registrar's Office and the Board of Trustees in data interpretation and use;
- Create and lead a culture of collaborative, data-informed decision-making and operations at Mills;
- Participate in institutional research and assessment organizations and keep abreast of national, state, and local educational issues.
Research and Reporting
- Conduct research and provide data and data analytics in response to and in anticipation of administration's and faculty's needs and in alignment with institutional and program strategic, tactical, and operational decisions;
- Compose reports, trend analyses, and predictive studies, via multiple modes of data visualization, including dashboards, so that the College can understand its operations and challenges and define its goals and effectiveness against benchmarks:
- Produce census reports and enrollment projections every semester;
- Report monthly on central trends and processes;
- Weekly reporting of KPIs with an eye to predictive analysis;
- Real time and on demand reports and dashboards to monitor areas and to promote actions moving the College forward.
- Design in-house surveys, supervise Institutional Research Analyst & Assessment Coordinator in coordinating participation in national surveys, and provide reports on survey uses and actionable items;
- Produce Facts & Trends;
- Support grant writing and grant reporting by drawing upon data required for proposals and grant-impact analyses.
- Support planning through special research and policy analyses;
- Assist in measuring attainment of planning goals;
- Facilitate planning discussions by designing institutional research studies.
Managing Data System
- Produce and manage as data steward a catalog or warehouse of data for budgeting, enrollment management, campus diversity, student life, institutional effectiveness, and strategic planning;
- Guide efforts to appraise and maintain data collection and management systems;
- Audit the types of data, tools, and dissemination methods needed to grow and maintain Mills' analytic and data capacities.
Data Democracy and Strengthening Community Access to Data
- Provide data to academic departments and the Division of Student Life for assessment, program review, and accreditation activities including analysis, interpretation, and reporting;
- Provide training and professional development of data-related skills and literacies for all data generators and consumers so as to ensure best data management practices and to promote data democracy.
Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent statistical and analytical skills, with an ability to explain complex data analysis to a diverse set of constituencies in a clear and concise manner.
- Demonstrated knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research methods, statistics, Microsoft Excel, and relational databases.
- Knowledge of state and federal requirements for the gathering, reporting, and dissemination of data from higher education institutions.
- Excellent written and oral communicator and presenter.
- Demonstrated competence in research methodologies, statistical methods, and data. collection and interpretation relevant to issues and developments in higher education
- Familiarity with SPSS, SASS, SQL; Banner experience preferred.
- Ability to work with discretion when dealing with confidential information.
- MA degree or higher in Social Sciences, Behavioral Sciences, or Education.
- Five years progressive experience in applied research including data collection, research design, database creation and maintenance, and project management.
- Three years progressive experience in higher education setting.
This is a full-time, exempt position. Compensation is commensurate with experience and includes an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision/life/LTD insurance, 403(b) retirement plan with college-matching after 6 month qualifying period, 22 days of vacation per year, 12 sick days and 17 paid holidays (subject to annual review). Staff members also receive free admission to campus events, use of the pool, fitness center, and tennis courts. Tuition remission is also available after an introductory period. Voluntary benefits include: pet insurance, long-term care insurance, legal-assistance insurance, cellular provider discounts and computer hardware discounts.
Mills College does not permit discrimination based on pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, race, religious creed, color, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, marital status, age, sex, sexual orientation, or gender identity. For more information on Mills' non-discrimination policy, please go to https://inside.mills.edu/administration/administrative_offices/policies/nondiscrimination.php.
All positions are subject to a background check. Prior to the first date of employment, an applicant's background check must be cleared.
Click the "Apply Now" button below and follow instructions to submit the following documents:
- Employee Application
- Cover Letter and
- Contact Information for 3 References
Please note that you can only upload 6 "Other" documents. You can consolidate multiple pages/documents into one file upload. The file size limit for each upload is 10Mb.
Review of applicants will begin immediately; applications will be accepted until the position is filled.