Facilities HVAC/R Technician
Facilities HVAC/R Technician
Posting Number: R0001867
Location: Salem Campus
Attention Current Willamette University Employees: In order to apply for posted positions, please close this window and log into your Workday account and apply through the Career worklet.
Instructions for Applicants:
Please read the following carefully before beginning the online application process.
To be considered for employment at Willamette University, please complete our online employment application. Your application and all required attachments -- listed at the bottom of the page -- must be submitted for each individual job post that you are interested in applying for. If there is an application deadline, please ensure that your application is submitted by the deadline. Once you submit your application you will not be able to edit your application.
Position Summary:Primarily operates and maintains refrigeration and air conditioning equipment on campus. Insures that all refrigerant is accounted for in accordance with EPA regulations, the Clean Air Act and The Montreal Protocol. Operates, maintains, and repairs University HVACR systems and components including food service equipment. Assists the Facilities Management staff in analyzing campus and building energy use and makes recommendations on reduction strategies.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Practices and encourages Facilities Management workplace expectations.
- Operates, maintains and repairs all University heating and cooling equipment including boilers, chillers, cooling towers, DHW heaters and associated peripheral systems and components in accordance with good engineering standards, State laws, and safe work practices. Ensures that all preventive maintenance is accomplished as prescribed by the State of Oregon, owner's insurance company and manufacturer's requirements.
- Responsible for all water treatment programs for boilers, chillers, and heating/cooling closed loop systems.
- May assist in scheduling and preparing boilers, chillers and cooling towers for internal and external inspections with state and insurance inspectors. Makes or arranges for any and all repairs and returns boilers/heating/cooling equipment to service as required.
- Troubleshoots and corrects campus heating and cooling system problems including food service equipment. Responds to campus IAQ/IEQ complaints, problems and questions. May perform skilled air and water balancing and balance checks as necessary.
- Assists in performing skilled journeyman level technical maintenance, installations and repairs to University control systems and components. Experience in analyzing and implementing Energy Conservation Measures (ECM's) through the use of the campus EMS and utility records is desired.
- Reviews and updates EMS system software and programming as needed, runs trends/trend graphs, performs periodic loop tuning, monitors and troubleshoots DDC hardware and software control components to ensure the system is performing optimally. Schedules the campus EMS to accommodate campus functions.
- Reviews plans, specifications and schematics and makes recommendations as requested by the Facilities Management Team. Estimates time and materials for assigned jobs.
- Maintains and repairs refrigeration equipment, air conditioning equipment, heat pumps, air handling units, air/water cooled chillers up to 250 tons and their associated equipment.
- Insures that all refrigerant on hand or used is accounted for, recorded and its lineage documented, as required by EPA regulations, the Clean Air Act and The Montreal Protocol.
- Maintains heating plant records according to industry standards and DEQ regulations.
- Maintains and repairs pneumatic and electrical (both high and low voltage) controls for HVAC/R systems.
- Maintains and repairs auxiliary equipment, such as fans, motors, pumps and cooling towers for the HVAC/R system. Performs journeyman level repairs to various HVAC equipment such as motors, starters, pumps, VFD's, valve and damper operators.
- Performs preventive maintenance tasks.
- Assists other engineering team members in troubleshooting and repairs to the building heating, cooling and energy management systems. Will be required to be backup on the campus EMS.
- Fills in on weekends and holidays when required.
- Subject to after-hours callback for emergencies.
- Performs other maintenance related duties as assigned.
- Accountability - Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
- Detail Oriented - Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task.
- Friendly - Ability to exhibit a cheerful demeanor toward others.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Time Management - Ability to utilize the available time to organize and complete work within given deadlines.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Adaptability - Adaptability looks at the extent to which an individual can fit into a changing working environment. How readily can you adapt your way of working or thinking in response to changing workplace conditions?
- Problem Solving - Problem solving skills looks at the ability of the individual to recognize courses of action which can be taken to handle problems or potential problems, and applying contingency plans to solve those problems.
Education: Any combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of this position. High school diploma with trade education preferred.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years of experience in the trade or successful completion of trade school required. Commercial/industrial chiller and/or comfort cooling systems experience required. Minimum of five years' experience with thorough knowledge of both oil and gas-fired boiler systems and related equipment required. Minimum of five years' experience as a maintenance repair worker involving skilled work related to maintenance of equipment with five years EMS/controls experience desired.
Computer Skills: Extensive and proficient use of a personal computer and software programs such as Word, Excel, or any specialized applications desired. Keyboarding, email and maintaining database's required.
Certificates & Licenses: Must be licensed by the EPA to handle refrigerants, universal CFC certification required with a minimum of a Type II acceptable. Brazing certificate required. Boiler/Pressure Vessel Building Service Mechanic Class 3 (CL3) license preferred. Is familiar with and understands all applicable state boiler laws and CSD-1. Limited energy class A or B electrical license, Limited Maintenance Electrician (LME) or Limited Building Maintenance Electrician (LBME) license desired. Possession of a valid Oregon driver's license and satisfactory driving record or ability to obtain one within 60 days of date of hire preferred.
Other Requirements: Working knowledge of standard practices, methods, tools and materials used in the refrigeration trade. Working knowledge of energy management systems desired.
- Operate and maintain HVAC/R systems.
- Maintain kitchen related refrigeration equipment.
- Perform a variety of skilled duties within the building maintenance trade.
- Troubleshoot and repair a variety of Facilities Maintenance equipment and controls.
- Organize and update computerized logs
- Read and interpret blueprints.
- Routinely and safely lift 50 pounds.
- Work while walking and standing for prolonged periods of time and while exposed to dirt, dust, infectious waste, obnoxious odors, and inclement weather.
- Estimate time and materials.
- Climb ladders and work in confined spaces.
- Communicate both orally and in written English.
- Have knowledge of safety hazards and precautions related to building maintenance activities such as OSHA GHS, blood borne pathogens, lock out/tag out, confined spaces, personal protective equipment, OR-OSHA and other safety standards.
- Must have knowledge of and be able to use the appropriate PPE (Personal protective equipment) as needed.
- Must have the ability to effectively interact with a variety of people in a manner that emphasizes strong customer service and portrays the University's programs, personnel and philosophies in a positive manner.
- Must have the ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain harmonious relations with other staff, faculty and students.
- Interrelate with a variety of people and handle stressful situations in a tactful manner.
- Ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain harmonious relations with other staff, faculty and students.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of diversity and inclusion best practices.
WORK ENVIRONMENT : Involves exposure to adverse environmental conditions as may be found working in a facilities setting which may include but is not limited to; working outdoors in inclement weather, extreme temperatures, noise, dim lighting, dust, dirt, confined spaces, high elevations, bio-hazards and other hazardous materials.
You will need to upload the following two documents as part of your application materials in the "My Experience" section labeled Resume:
- Cover letter addressing the required/desired qualifications and presenting any other applicant characteristics which deserve emphasis
- Current Resume
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Apply online at https://willamette.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/willametteuniversityjobs/job/Salem-Campus/Facilities-HVAC-R-Technician_R0001867
Believing that diversity contributes to academic excellence and to rich and rewarding communities, WU is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty, staff and student body. We seek candidates, particularly those from historically under-represented groups, whose work furthers diversity and who bring to campus varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency