Executive Director of Recruitment and Admissions
Executive Director of Recruitment and Admissions
University of Houston-Clear Lake, in partnership with the national search firm of Scott Healy & Associates, invites applications and nominations for the position of Executive Director of Recruitment and Admissions. Reporting to the Associate Vice-President of Enrollment Management of the University, the Executive Director administers the operational, financial, and personnel functions to accomplish the University's enrollment goals and objectives, provides leadership in recruitment of students while using data to make evidence-based decisions, and develops and directs fiscal and resource strategies, plans and policies. The Executive Director will provide expertise and knowledge of best practices and leadership in facilitating the creation and implementation of the annual undergraduate and graduate recruitment plans focused on enrolling a diverse population of students. The Executive Director will also develop and execute a multifaceted communications plan to generate an increase in enrollment.
The University and the City of Houston, Texas:
The University of Houston-Clear Lake:
Recognizing the need for higher education in the growing Clear Lake area, the 62nd Texas Legislature authorized the establishment of a second University of Houston campus in 1971. Legislators cited a 1968 report by the then Coordinating Board, Texas College and University System (now the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board) when approving the new campus. In 1973, the Texas Senate authorized construction of a permanent campus at Clear Lake. Today, University of Houston-Clear Lake is a four-year university with more than 80 undergraduate and graduate degree programs and three doctoral programs from its four colleges. In 2010, the UHCL Pearland Campus opened to offer the growing community access to quality bachelor’s and master’s degrees from select programs. UHCL also offers select health care programs at the Texas Medical Center. UHCL currently enrolls about 9000 students with approximately 35 percent of its student population identifying as Hispanic, making it an Hispanic Serving Institution with additional federal support for Hispanic students. UHCL's 68,000 alumni are leaders in a variety of fields and include 10 astronauts, more than 400 CEOs and at least one best-selling author. UHCL is a destination for the arts with approximately 34,000 patrons attending exhibits in the Art Gallery and performances in the Bayou Theater in 2017.
The University of Houston-Clear Lake is a student-centered, community-minded, partnership-oriented university that offers bachelor's, master's and selected doctoral programs to enhance the educational, economic, and cultural environment of the Houston-Galveston metropolitan region. UH-Clear Lake serves a diverse student body with special emphasis on undergraduate, transfer, graduate and international students. The University offers the highest quality instruction and nationally accredited academic programs designed to develop the critical thinking, creative, quantitative, leadership and communication skills of students. The University conducts applied and basic research and engages in community and professional services that support both the economic development and the quality of life of the area. The University is committed to community engagement through partnerships with educational institutions, businesses, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations.
The University of Houston-Clear Lake is guided by the following values that help shape the University's culture and promote respect for all students, faculty, staff, administrators, and other members of the university community:
- Learning - UHCL inspires all individuals within the university community to pursue lifelong learning through a dedication to intellectual and personal growth.
- Trust - UHCL encourages open and honest communication which embraces the freedom of diverse ideas.
- Integrity - UHCL proudly promotes and supports personal, academic, and ethical standards within the university and the community we serve.
- Opportunity - UHCL actively fosters the freedom to productively and enthusiastically pursue and enhance quality of life for ourselves and our communities.
- Diversity - UHCL facilitates a respectful and inclusive environment with regard to individual, societal, and global perspectives.
- Leadership - UHCL empowers individuals with the freedom to learn, grow, and develop as leaders.
- Quality - UHCL commits to continually demonstrate excellence through the actions of our students, faculty, staff, and administrators.
- Innovation - UHCL supports innovation through the development of collaboration, creativity, and critical thinking.
The Houston Community:
Houston is the most populous city in the U.S. state of Texas and the fourth most populous city in the United States, with a census-estimated population of 2.312 million in 2017. It is home to nearly 1500 acres of green space in the city and Memorial Park is home to a public golf course, swimming pool, tennis courts, and trails to enjoy. It is also home to the NASA headquarters as well as 25 companies on the Fortune 500 list. The Texas Medical Center is the largest in the world with 47 research and treatment institutions. Houston is listed in Travel & Leisure’s America’s favorite cities and offers both a thriving downtown dining and arts scene which includes professional resident companies in ballet, opera, symphony, and theater. It also includes multiple James Beard award winning restaurants. It is home to the fourth largest museum district in the country, as well.
The Position: The Executive Director’s position will require both broad oversight as well as a hands-on management style, including a working knowledge of current best-practices in student recruitment. The primary responsibilities:
- Provides expertise, knowledge of best practices and leadership to facilitate the creation and implementation of the annual undergraduate and graduate recruitment plans in support of the institution’s strategic enrollment goals.Makes data-informed decisions in the development and implementation of the recruitment plans.
- Continually evaluates processes, strategies and tactics to improve the recruitment and admissions functions.
- Applies understanding of the various audiences to create and implement multifaceted communications plans and measure its effectiveness.Collaborates with the Associate Director of Enrollment Communications in the Division of Enrollment Management to execute multifaceted plans.
- Trains and supports staff involved in undergraduate and graduate recruitment and admissions efforts and operations.Ensures acquired technology is leveraged in recruitment and admissions operations.
- Builds and maintains a cohesive, integrated and collaborative admissions and recruitment function to continually build and maintain high standards of customer service so that prospective students have an excellent experience from the first point of contact through admissions and first enrollment.Builds and maintains quality customer services for internal constituents.
- Collaborates with colleagues in the development and implementation of Enrollment Management initiatives.
- Provides supervision, leadership, mentorship, and staff development to each of the units within the Office of Admissions.Champions and encourages professional growth annually.
Qualifications: To be considered for the position of Executive Director, the ideal candidate should have the following:
- Demonstrated progressive experience in the field of admissions/recruitment, with experience at the associate or director level,
- Progressive supervisory experience,
- Experience with a CRM system,
- Experience working in a public institution of higher education in admissions/recruitment,
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master’s Degree preferred,
- Experience supervising both professional and support staff preferred,
- Experience with Campus Management Radius product and PeopleSoft Student Information System preferred,
- Experience in both graduate and undergraduate recruitment and admissions preferred.
Application and Nomination Process: The University has partnered with Scott Healy & Associates in managing and overseeing the entire search process. All applications and nominations must be sent electronically to:
Scott Healy & Associates
Attn: Mr. Jamie Marcus, Associate Vice President
Applicants must apply electronically by submitting a Cover Letter outlining their experiences and success in all areas indicated in The Position, a complete and up-to-date Resume, and the names of five professional References with title, institutional affiliation, email address, and direct telephone number.
The search process is confidential and no references will be contacted without written permission from the candidate. Applications submitted by February 22, 2019, will be given priority consideration. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
Equal Opportunity Policy: The University of Houston-Clear Lake provides equal treatment and opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation except where such distinction is required by law. This statement reflects compliance with Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 and all other federal and state regulations.
Share this job with your network:
Diversity Profile: University
Apply for Executive Director of Recruitment and Admissions
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly