TITLE: Buyer I
REPORTS TO: Barbara Bright
EFFECTIVE DATE: N/A
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full Time
EMPLOYMENT CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: (ex: duties that are essential to performing the job with or without an accommodation)
• Reviews, approves, and processes purchasing requests such as purchase requisitions and small purchase orders for goods or services to ensure compliance with the institution's purchasing procedures, the state procurement code, and user requirements. • Prepares all aspects of bids, requests for quotes, and proposals, including precise specifications, supporting spreadsheets, comparisons, recommendations, and justifications; issues purchase orders. • Provides liaison services between vendors and departments for order status, procurement procedures, and problem resolution; researches sources of supply; advises departments on cost effective alternatives. • Assists in bid openings for competitive solicitations such as requests for quotes, bids, and proposals. • Reviews and evaluates contracts, issues award letters and purchase orders, negotiates change orders, and determines sole source validity. • Maintains data information, files, reports, price lists on assigned commodities; negotiates prices and terms. • Maintains records in accordance with established policies and procedures and audit guidelines. • May expedite shipping and deliveries, maintain inventories, and monitor usage inconsistencies, price changes, and vendor back orders. • May validate, reconcile, and process receiving reports, vendor invoices, and other payment documents. • Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Successful completion of at least 60 college-level credit hours; at least 3 years of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified. • Records maintenance skills.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, and ABILITIES:
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community. • Ability to analyze purchasing requests/orders for compliance with institutional procedures and the Kentucky state procurement code. • Ability to evaluate procurement bids in accordance with established criteria. • Ability to document work in progress. • Ability to complete moderately complex administrative paperwork. • Ability to prepare bids, requests for quotes, and proposals in compliance with University business policies and the Kentucky procurement code. • Knowledge of cost analysis techniques. • Ability to analyze and solve problems. • Negotiating skills. • Ability to resolve customer complaints and concerns. • Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information. • Knowledge of contract law. • Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw conclusions.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL EFFORT:
• Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
• Very limited physical effort required.
• Very limited exposure to physical risk.
KENTUCKY STATE UNVERSITY is an Equal Opportunity Employer
The functions, qualifications, knowledge/skills, and physical requirements listed in this job description represent the essential duties of the job, which the incumbent must be able to perform either with or without reasonable accommodation. The Job Functions listed do not necessarily include all activities that the individual may perform.