Postdoctoral Research Associate
Postdoctoral Research AssociateVacancy ID:
Surgery - Research Other - 414080Position Type:
Postdoctoral ScholarSalary Range:
1.0Proposed Start Date:
06/29/2018Estimated Duration of Appointment:
12 MonthsPosting Open Date:
03/09/2018Open Until Filled:
Chapel Hill, NCPosition Summary:
A postdoctoral scholar position is immediately available in the laboratory of Dr. Edward Moreira Bahnson. We are looking for an extremely talented and highly motivated junior PhD to work on development of a model of diabetic vasculopathies, and the design of nanoscale redox-based treatments for the diabetic atherosclerotic plaque. We are a dynamic multidisciplinary research group located within the Center for Nanotechnology in Drug Delivery at the University of North Carolina –Chapel Hill.
Our long term research aims to change the way we treat arterial disease in diabetes by:
• Understanding why arterial disease is more aggressive in diabetic patients.
• Developing targeted systems using nanotechnology to locally deliver therapeutics to the diseased arteries.
This work will involve designing studies, conducting experiments, and analyzing and interpreting results from these experiments. The selected candidate will also be responsible for the preparation of manuscripts related to these projects and submission of the manuscripts for publication in scientific journals.
•PhD in a Biomedical Science related fieldQualifications and Experience:
The successful candidate must have a strong background and research experience in vascular biology, and animal models of disease particularly models of atherosclerosis and diabetes, and rodent colony maintenance. Technical expertise preferred include:
•PCR, Immunoblotting, Oil Red O staining, immunofluorescence, and co-immunoprecipitation assay, Promoter-reporter assay, DNA isolation.
• Isolation of vascular cells from aortae, culture, and transfection. Nuclear and cytosolic fractionation of cells, cell proliferation assays, histology, immunohistochemistry.
• Light, fluorescence, and Confocal microscopy.
• Rodent handling, including rodent surgery, genotyping, glucose tolerance test, and lipid assays.
• Chromatographic Quantitative techniques.
• Familiarity with nanoparticle and chemical synthesis.
This position also requires evidence of: publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals, presentations at national/international scientific meetings.Equal Opportunity Employer:
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Special Instructions:
For information on UNC Postdoctoral Benefits and Services click here