Posting InformationPosition Information Position Type Permanent Staff (EHRA NF) Department H W Odum Inst Res Social Sci-631300 Working Title Systems Programmer/Analyst Appointment Type EHRA Non-Faculty Position Posting Category Information Technology Salary Range Dependent on Qualifications Full Time/Part Time? Full-Time Permanent Hours per Week 40 Vacancy ID NF0003336 Position ID 20030392 Posting Open Date Application Deadline Open Until Filled Yes Proposed Start Date 01/01/2019 Position Summary
This position provides IT consultation, support, and training to Odum professional staff and clients using Odum UNIX-based systems. The position provides basic support of UNIX server platforms including setup, configurations, troubleshooting, diagnostics, and instruction on use. The position consults with clients to identify problem areas with IT applications and services, suggesting and implementing solutions to client needs as part of a team. The position requires workgroup leadership to solve installation and support problems that arise during the operation and design of the Odum UNIX infrastructure. The position also provides installation and scripting support for applications used by Odum programmers and design teams on various grant-funded projects. The position involves entry-level applications programming and design to support deliverables on Odum’s funded grants. The duties and responsibilities of this position are as follows:
UNIX Systems Administration
- Work under the direction of the IT team lead to support, develop, and maintain the UNIX & Linux systems providing the platform for the assigned systems at the Odum Institute.
- Assist in supporting other UNIX and Linux platforms and virtual machines when needed.
- Troubleshoot/develop new systems as needed. Install/troubleshoot all UNIX based applications.
- Train other staff on the new systems as needed.
- Maintain cyberinfrastructure for Sloan CoRE2 Grant.
- Maintain cyberinfrastructure for other grants and contracts as assigned.
- Maintain disk and backup systems for all servers assigned to this position to a level required by staff and customers.
- Maintain Odum SharePoint and Microsoft-based servers in compliance with campus standards.
Applications Programming & Systems Integration
- Integrate open source application to develop data management and computational workflows
- Program user interfaces using python
- Provide secure and auditable environment for the Odum UNIX based infrastructure.
- Coordinate with ITS Security Office and the Odum Security liaison to ensure a protected environment for data entrusted to Odum.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, or closely related degree from an appropriately accredited institution and two years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming, or closely related area; OR
- Associate’s degree in Computer Information Technology, Computer Engineering Technology, or Networking Technology from an appropriately accredited institution and three years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming, or closely related area; OR
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Four years of experience in Linux administration.
- One year of experience managing open source solutions.
- Previous experience maintaining Linux-based server environments.
- Previous experience with Jupyter or other notebook solutions.
- Thorough understanding of open source standards and processes.
- Demonstrated skill managing open sourced applications.
- Broad awareness of available UNIX support resources and the ability to incorporate them in collaborate solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to install, support, and manage a Redhat Linux or CentOS environment.
- Demonstrated ability to design firewall rules and provide services in a protected, secure environment.
- Demonstrated ability to diagnose and solve system problems then provide solutions to other IT staff.
- Demonstrated ability to debug network issues and design secure solutions.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with parties of diverse technical backgrounds, from project managers to end-users.
- Previous experience with advanced Python programming.
- Previous experience with Django.
- Previous experience with Jupyter Hub.
- Previous experience with GitHub and other application programming tools and environments.
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Special Instructions
Applicants may submit an optional “Other Document” that contains links to software, Jupyter Notebooks, or Python code developed by the applicant.Quick Link http://unc.peopleadmin.com/postings/148457 Department Contact Information Department Contact Name and Title Miranda McCraw, HR Consultant Department Contact Telephone or Email [email protected] Office of Human Resources Contact Information
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to [email protected]
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- List of References
- Other Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Systems Programmer/Analyst- Journey position:
- Master’s or Doctorate degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Math,or closely related technical degree from an appropriately accredited institution; or
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering,or closely related technical degree from an appropriately accredited institution and two years of experience in operations analysis and design systems programming or
- Associate's degree in Computer Information Technology, Computer Engineering Technology, Networking Technology from an appropriately accredited institution and three years of experience in operations analysis and design, systems programming or closely rela
- A combination of post high school education and/or related experience equal six years; or
- None of the above.